Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Anyone fancy a 1963 Super?

Eccles60

First Renault 4 after 40 years waiting
Looks nice, did the early 4s not have the seam sealer between wing and A panel, or has this just been resprayed wings on? ( for 15k devils in the..)

A lot of 4's that are cropping up as original or highly restored are missing the key details. They seem to go to the effort of 'renewing' the engine and having it resprayed but leave a scabby old sticker on the rocker cover and forget details like seam sealer :/

Too many dealers are chancing their luck and hiking up the price for everyone else...

Just looking through all add photos, does look as if it has just had a blown over paint shop experience, Oval and diamond plaque photo shows the tape edge from masking engine bay for no paint, bit peely in some shots, (top of doors driver side etc.), I’ll go with your ‘ Too many dealers are chancing their luck hiking up the price for everyone else..’ Jnr-Reospeed

A lot of 4's that are cropping up as original or highly restored are missing the key details. They seem to go to the effort of 'renewing' the engine and having it resprayed but leave a scabby old sticker on the rocker cover and forget details like seam sealer :/

Too many dealers are chancing their luck and hiking up the price for everyone else...
Hello
I’m interested in what you mean when you talk about seam sealer, as my gtl is going back together-do you mean the gaps between wings/panels?
What was originally in the gap? Do you know?
Please!!

It's a lovely baby, and a few little blemishes ,like all of us ,should not put anyone off .xx

Thats true, and its pretty and pretty unique with that working rear hatch and a sun roof. Needs some love.

Hello
I’m interested in what you mean when you talk about seam sealer, as my gtl is going back together-do you mean the gaps between wings/panels?
What was originally in the gap? Do you know?
Please!!

Yes, the gaps between the front wings and A post and rear wings and quarter panel after fitting are sealed over with a black polyurethane sealant when restos are done.

sorry, the sun roof was on the other very early red one flagged up recently.

Yes, the gaps between the front wings and A post and rear wings and quarter panel after fitting are sealed over with a black polyurethane sealant when restos are done.
So should they be left empty? A void? do you have any photos of how they should be?

So should they be left empty? A void? do you have any photos of how they should be?
No, the small creases left after fitting the wings should be covered over with a thin line of black sealant after painting, see picture below. It seems from your profile picture that you have already done this !

1980 Renault 4 GTL review: Retro Road Test - Retro Motor

Back