Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Battery retention

wclough

Enthusiast
Apologies for this spate of questions but having just bought a 4GTL I will be needing and very thankful for your help. The battery is at the front off side on my 1985 model. It is held in with a bungy which I doubt was Renault's fitment. Should the battery be held in with the common angle iron with 2 threaded rods with a hook at the end? or was ther some other arrangement?

Most GTLs I've seen came with a device like this:DSC00563.JPG DSC00565.JPG

It fits against the long side of the battery. If your car has been fitted with a larger battery, it's easy enough to make up something like this:DSC00562.JPG

From memory, our 1990 GTL has a shaped piece of metal that clamps down with a single bolt on one side of the battery tray. The other side of the battery is held in place by a lip on the batter tray. I'll try to find a photo.

Thanks for these ideas. I have a very large battery fitted which fills the whole tray. It is in good condition so I thought I would keep it. I have bought a battery retaining strap and cut down the threaded rod and made new hooks on the end. It looks good now. Much better than bungies

Back