Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Bleeding brakes like a Maverick

mojobaby

Enthusiast
A few months ago, after I failed my MOT, I replaced brake cylinders and brake flexible hoses. By that stage, my brake lines were completely empty of any brake fluid and the usual method of bleeding my brakes didn't work.
I had a vacuum brake bleeding kit on order, but I was a little impatient and decided to try something completely unconventional.

And to my surprise it worked:)

This is the video that I made:

PROPER OLD SCHOOL METHODOLOGY! Love the P.T.F.E. tape addition-I thought I was the only person who used it! In the past I've fixed a funnel arrangement on the top of the fluid reservoir, opened all the bleed nipples & placed containers under them. Left overnight I've found the system to be perfectly bled.

Thanks Petak and Andrew, the PTFE was a tip from Angel and it sealed the leak around the bleed nipple perfectly.

I've never tried "gravity" bleeding Andrew, I thought you had to do one bleed nipple at a time

Venturi effect coming in use at bleeding brakes. Nice idea Mojo!

As most vacuum pumps have an "out" function, that is, pressure building, I have resorted to reverse bleed some very stubborn systems that would not get all the air out with vacuum bleeding, by filling the pump's container with brake fluid and pushing it through the bleeder nipples. Works very well, but I have never found it necessary on any R4.

Back