Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Bluetooth radio in the R4

KeithS

Enthusiast
Being a basic Savane, my R4 doesn't have a radio or console. The consoles look a bit flimsy anyway, so I decided to take another route to being able to listen to music. As I have mounted my iPhone on the dash alongside the steering wheel, I looked into Bluetooth speakers and came up with Amazon's best-selling Anker (note: without a 'W'!) Soundcore, a compact but well-reviewed speaker. It's perfect! I have it sat on the parcel tray, held in place with a spot of double-sided foam tape (although as it's got a rubberized covering, it doesn't slide around anyway).
Connected to the iPhone by Bluetooth, it also acts as a handsfree phone set-up as it has a built-in mic. The volume is controllable from the phone or buttons on top of the unit. So, as long as you have 4G network, you can listen to Internet radio from anywhere in the world – but if you do lose the 4G signal, there's still the option of listening to music stored on your phone. The volume is more than adequate to hear above the engine and the quality far better than a single stock speaker down in a plastic console. It also means not having to cut door panels to mount speakers. And, of course, you can take it out of the car and use it wherever you want, or tuck it out of sight when the car's parked.
There are two models, the Soundcore 1 and the (slightly) upgraded Soundcore 2. The former costs £29.99, the latter usually £40+. I bought a Soundcore 1 for the car and was so impressed with it that I went to buy one for home, only to discover Amazon was doing a special deal on the Mk2 version for the same £29.99. A no brainer...
IMG_2005.JPGIMG_2007.JPG

That's my solution also. Albeit a ZoeeTree speaker but essentially the same. I have wondered about making it fit into the R4 radio console as they are almost the same size.

Mine almost fits into the blanking tray that fit's instead of a radio unit but is about 0.5 of a cm too tall. If I replace it I'll try and get one that fits.

I've done the same thing, save messing around installing a radio that I might never use, phone has all the music I need

6 years ago I did a little audio system on my R4 with pieces I found home from previous cars and I decided to connect everything to a little bluetooth module in order to leave it almost invisible.
But I think when I'll put back the car togheter I'll go for a portable USB speaker too
vRl1Ll9.jpg
h9M1Rzx.jpg

WxC1Ko4.jpg

• hKGy2Qu.jpg
    hKGy2Qu.jpg
    176.3 KB · Views: 8
I also just use a small'ish BT speaker I got for donating blood and plasma I'm contemplating on getting a Soundboks 2 (122dB devil) just to take the piss on others on the road, and blasting some Edith Piaf while cruising. Je. Ne. Regrette. Rien.

I have found retro looking brand new radio (AUNA) with CD, USB, Bluetooth, AUX.
And two 3-system speakers on shelf under dashboard

• 20170627_194722.jpg
    20170627_194722.jpg
    176.7 KB · Views: 9
Back