Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Body Filler Advert

malcolm

& Clementine the Cat
I found the most wonderful advert for Plastic Padding body filler in the September 1980 edition of Practical Motorist.

plastic-padding1.jpg

The funny bit is the inset:

plastic-padding2.jpg

Looks like motor manufacturers have gone in totally the wrong direction with their crash structures and air bag pre-tensioners. All you need to do is slap a bit of Plastic Padding Elastic onto your rusty old Mini - you'll be as safe as houses.

:lol:

You don't see as much filler as you used to do you? I remember about eight or nine years ago I worked in a VW dealership and we had a Scirocco brought in that wouldn't start. Turned out the owner had just bought it. I have never to this day seen a car with so much filler. There was filler in the roof, on the bulkhead and virtually every panel.......

Those were the days!

filler is still used, when used properly you would never know.

You still see some cars with sills made from isopon and newspaper though

sorry people im a bit of a sucker for filler, i like to do a bit of modifying, hope u guys dont mind modifiers on here, smothed over my laguna doors with filler, i must admit the filler came out alright, u cant realy tell that its been fillered.

I remember seeing a VW Beetle a few years ago which had been fitted with solenoid-operated doors - instead of exterior door handles there was a remote control key fob which you pressed to release the doors electronically. All very clever, but instead of welding up the indentation where the door handles had originally been the owner had just filled them with several kilos of filler. Probably looked great when he first did it, but when I saw it there was a nice oval crack in exactly the place where you would have expected to find the handle - the filler having either shrunk or been shaken loose by opening and closing the doors... Sort of ruined the high-tech smoothed-out look of the car really - he obviously hadn't used impact-resistant Plastic Padding Elastic!

Back