Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Bonsoir!

Melissa

Enthusiast
Hi everyone! I've just bought my first Renault 4, it's a 1977 TL (I'm just learning about them so bear with!)..So far it's going fine..I've had a 2CV before ..but I prefer the Renault, I really can see myself getting into them! I've had a Saab V4 95 before & loved it, I've also got a 1985 T25 Westy. Anyway, thanks for having me on this great site. I live in France! Melissa

Welcome Melissa.
Mi first car was a 2cv my second to. But my third was a 1966 Saab 96.
One of the first delivered with a V4.
9 years ago I chose for the R4 and the virus hasn't left me so far.
Yes you are forgiven for the 2cv.

Hi Harbourseal & thank you!!! I actually bought my R4 as I saw my Saab by chance on ebay in the UK..reduced to a scrappers! It was so painful to see the state she had been reduced to that it seemed like fate that Rene the R4 came along just at the same time..the colour is the same as my old Saab & the bonnet has a similar feel..not just the way it opens but the lines too..I've only had her just over a week but I'm already in a serious committed relationship!

Hello and welcome to the forum. It's a very friendly place and there's lots of experts who can answer questions if you can't find answers by searching the forum (most things have been covered by now!).

Do post photos when you can - we like pictures :)

Hi everyone! I've just bought my first Renault 4, it's a 1977 TL (I'm just learning about them so bear with!)..So far it's going fine..I've had a 2CV before ..but I prefer the Renault, I really can see myself getting into them! I've had a Saab V4 95 before & loved it, I've also got a 1985 T25 Westy. Anyway, thanks for having me on this great site. I live in France! Melissa

And a T25 Westy - the lady has taste!
Welcome to the forum,
N.

Bonsoir Melissa

Congrats on your Renault 4, Rene, I hope you'll be very happy with her. As Jjad says, a few pictures would be great!!:laughing:

Your poor Saab! that must have been painful to see!

Oh it was terrible, I was only the 2nd owner of the Saab & the owners cried when I bought her, I took out the engine & rebuilt it, got her running great & really didn't want to sell her..but parking restrictions made it impossible to keep her. I sold her to someone who promised me they'd cherish her..then 5 years later she's in a scrappers..the engine taken out...I cried & apologised profusely! I just hope someone has bought her & will bring her back to life again, she was solid underneath so there is a chance!

What on earth is a T25 Westy?

I've owned five Citroen 2CVs _and I currently have a Lomax 233 under construction - and owned my first R4GTL about thirty years ago. Now I am back with another R4GTL although now I have more time (retired) and money (pension) to look after her.

hello paul, a T25 westy is a vw caper van , they have different specs for which camper you have eg the inside is different layout and trims etc etc;) i think is a westfalia if thats the right spelling (westy) the ones with the pop up roofs . also called type 2 which were early ones air cooled , and later water cooled T25, both lots of fun to be had on you travels.

Cheers Mike. I love the look of VW Camper vans, and there's even a firm in Maidstone here that hires them out. I have heard they are a tad gutless though and I rarely see them on a motorway exceeding 60ish. I am currently looking for a 2-berth trailer tent (such as a Cabanon Venus or a Raclet Solena) which appear to be about the lightest TTs around. As for caravans I've been looking at Freedom Microlites/Jetstream or Eriba Pucks) but I just know they would make a big dent in my R4s 'performance'. Eribas are damned expensive too. Now I must have a search for the tow bar drawings which are on here somewhere ;-)

Hello Paul, hmm, gutless, not really the right word I have to say. As the VW campers are derived from delivery vehicles, ie vans, where performance speed wise is not paramount, but load carrying is, they are low geared, much the same as an Estafette, or indeed a Citroën H Type. The engine is very strong, and provided the driver "reads" the road ahead, good average speeds can be maintained. Our 1973 Bay Window camper is fitted with a 1641cc engine, with a slightly hotter camshaft, and once "wound up", gives quite a good performance. The road holding can be a bit lively, which helps the concentration, but at lower speeds you get to enjoy the scenery, which is what it is all about. Regards Brian.

Brian-what you said about the scenery got me to remember;I once asked a friend of mine who had been to Paris
"So did you take the elevator up top of the Eiffel-tower to have a look at the scenery?"
He looked at me in disbelief and replied "Huh-As if I haven't seen scenery before ????"
-so much for scenery and pretty views I guess..................................................................-Reid

What on earth is a T25 Westy?

I've owned five Citroen 2CVs _and I currently have a Lomax 233 under construction - and owned my first R4GTL about thirty years ago. Now I am back with another R4GTL although now I have more time (retired) and money (pension) to look after her.

Likewise, I've just partially retired and treated myself to a Daf 33! IMG_1777.JPG

Hi Paul...you're right my VW was a tad gutless..it had a 1.6td in it..the same that was put in the Golfs..so I replaced it with a 1.9td from an Audi...goes a lot better now!!

Hi and welcome to the forum, it seems we like similar vehicles around here,

My list includes VW Type 2
Saab 99ems
Lomax 223
DYANE sidewinder, Ami super chassis underneath.
2 Renault 4's

Amongst hundreds of other cars I've had over the years.

Back