Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Boyer Bransden ignition system

Steve Hennessey

In response to Mike from Anglesey asking about the Boyer unit, I feel this is worth sharing with everybody.

The Boyer unit works on the inductive discharge priinciple. My personal experience of these has been very positive. I've fitted these to three cars I've owned and they have performed faultlessly and the points have been as good as new even after 40,000 miles. Points are not cheap these days and if your 4 uses the SEV distributor with the cassette points, you will know that these are getting expensive.

Because the points don't burn, the engine stays in tune. The only thing you need to check is the dwell/gap every 6000 miles in case the fibre/plastic heel has worn down slightly where it touches the cams. Always put a little grease on the cam when fitting the points anyway and this will extend their life no end.

The unit you need is the negative earth one KIT00069. They are probably about £30 now inc P&P and you can order them direct with a credit card straight from Boyer. Tel: 01622 730939.

These are suitable for 6 and 12 volts and will fit all cars and bikes with points. If you've got a positive earth vehicle, go for KIT00070.

Fitting is around 15mins, but do fit a new set of points and condenser at the same time. On a 4 the unit will stick to the bulkhead near to the distributor and wiring is dead simple.

Steve

My choice was a CraneCams Points to Electronic conversion KIT. It has been working flawlessly for 4 years. With this KIT, points and condenser go away completely and are replaced by an optical trigger. It goes for around 90USD.
What I dislike of the KITs that use the points as a trigger mechanism is that although the points dont burn, the "foot" slowly wears and it tends to close the points, varying the time. The optical trigger, you install and forget. If you want pics I can post some.

I looked up cranecams on the web. Yes, a good idea but which one do you buy considering 4 different makes of distributor were fitted to the 4 GTL? There does not appear to be a retailer of these in the UK.

Secondly, it will take years for the points heel to wear down providing grease is applied to the cam every 6000 miles. The beauty of the Boyer system is that if it did fail, you can swap the wires at the roadside in a couple of minutes and be on your way.

Thirdly, if you wanted to go for a trigger system in the UK, then go to Aldon Automotive. They convert Lucas distributors, but they are so helpful that they may consider converting a 4 distributor to their pointless system if you ask them.

Steve

About your question, I have a Ducellier distributor and I fitted the 700-0231 model of the XR-700 (the negative ground - "universal" one). I couldn't tell if it will fit the other three makes.

On the other hand, I apologize for being so self centered and mentioning a KIT easily available in places far away from the UK.

About the points, I stand corrected, it must be much more reliable and precise to trigger the spark with a mechanical device.

Enrique

Back