Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Buying a Renault 4 in Portugal

malcolm

& Clementine the Cat
I read an article recently where a Portugese guy restored an early 1970s Renault 4. All he had to do was repaint the car - it didn't seem to need any other work. It's got me thinking it could be a good idea to pop over there to buy one of their nice sunny climate rust free cars (with a bench front seat of course).

I've been looking on the internet for adverts for Portugese Renault 4s but I can't seem to find any. How are the cars advertised? Do they only appear in classified advertisements in the local newspapers?

I gather there is some interest in Renault 4s over there. Is there an enthusiast that can help me?

:clementi:

Not an expert but Portuguese

Hi Clementine well here in portugal people usually put a paper on the car window with someting like 'for sale' and a phone number, probably you guys over there do the same. Also we have a free ad paper with a good auto section some 4L's show up there. And we also have a online auction site pretty much like ebay.

the free ad paper has an online version here's the URL already pointing to the renault's (sorry the ads are in portuguese but i think you'll figure out the details)

http://www.ocasiao.pt/conteudos/index.cfm?accao=ListarRegistos&Cate_ID=248&Pagina=3

the auction site is this one

http://www.miau.pt/motores/categorias/categoria.jsp?prop1=10001&prop2=10671

you'll defenetelly have trouble withe the language, but if you need any help send me a mail i'll translate it for you.

Thanks for the links tasheido.

Looks like the prices are slightly lower than in the UK, and the cars are generally newer (and presumably less rusty). There was a 1992 Savanne on the free ad website with a 5 speed gearbox (according to Google's translation).

Importing the cars wouldn't be too difficult, but I suppose a trip to Portugal would have to be thought of as a holiday as the trip would probably cost as much as the car.

Usually the late models don't have severe rust problems. Mine was a service car, like many 4L's in Portugal. It had a rust problem under the trim but was fixed. I also agree that the prices are lower since there are more 4L's available, they are not yet considered a rarity like the beetles and the 2CV or even the mini.

Some things i would consider if i planned on buing.

1- The insurance Problem (caught with no insurance..biiig problem)
2- The car registration (i have no idea how that would be since you are not Portuguese and i dont know how foreign buys are taken care of)

Here the police check if the registration name and address matches the drivers licence and the insurance. if not, a good explanation is in order or else you're in for a ticket

3- Will she be in good condition to make the trip back?

Besides that it would be a fun adventure! driving all the way back to England.

Oh and the translation was correct. the white savanne is in setubal wich is a 30 minute drive from here actually. 5 speed gearbox ( i wonder if he considers reverse as an extra speed :) ) has 4 seatbelts, portuguese MOT, Laureate tyre mounts 145/70/13 and he might throw in some aluminium tyre mounts ATS 135x13 that's what the ad said.

Back