Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Calling all 32IF 7 experts

barry

Enthusiast
My choke actuating mechanism has just fallen apart. Or more specifically, the retaining spindle has come away from the body and I’ve discovered it has been substituted with a ground down bolt and nut spacer, as per pictures.

so this:
index2.html.jpg
rigged with this:
IMG_0363.JPG

I believe kits are available to sort it - but I’m now wondering why one wasn’t used in the first place and more critically what damage may have been caused to the orifice in the body that the substitute’s been pushed into. So I’m now suspicious of the condition of the complete carb and have tried looking for a replacement.

Found this offered as brand new for 180euro.

271797776_5.jpg271797776_3.jpg271797776_2.jpg271797776_6.jpg

Any advice/opinions much appreciated.
Thanks, Barry

I'm sure it can be repaired Barry, but for €180 I'd be very tempted to replace it, in fact I reckon it's a no-brainer.

I was looking to get my carb refurbished. £150 and 12 week period.

I’ve just noticed in the first pic it’s stamped 12 7 69. I assume this is manufacture date??
Seems very early. Does anyone know if they were being made then?
Maybe I’m being offered a (poor?) copy....?
Comments welcome!

.... just had another close look on 'zoom-in' and I think it could possibly be 89 (or 69)
....any sharp-eyed feedback welcome!

Your correct with your 1st reading, deffo 69 not 89, there no indentation in middle of left of number so its a 6 not an 8 stamped..
Even although its unused NOS personally for piece of mind I would be changing the pump diaphram ( if these have one, haven’t personally had one of these apart ) before fitting due to its age/exposure to air over the period of time its been sitting on a shelf unused, old rubber goes hard and will crack with use...

Thanks Laxeian - well spotted!
So, 12 7 69. Seems far too old. Now I’m suspicious of what I’m being offered.....

it is clearly it is not new.
Maybe old stock or renewed old carb.

Back