Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Caput Capot!

JonathanT

Not normal for Norfolk
Hello everyone I'm looking for an early basic bonnet (Capot if my French is correct)
I have never seen one close too but they seem to be punched slots forming the 'loaf of bread' grille rather than the alloy add on over a single larger hole

Id like to get hold of either version in almost any condition - see photo of type

• Early bonnet.png
    Early bonnet.png
    34.6 KB · Views: 9
Wow thank you Andy. I have always been confused by the pressed shape of the bonnet on the later cars - I think the area around the number plate is a different shape too.

I don't know if it's a fluke, but the number on that bonnet reflects the engine size of early Renault 4 cars-747cc! It's also registered in my favourite area of France, namely Iles Et Villaine, area 35. All in all, a perfect number!

on the first generation bonnet, photo above, what are the headlight surrounds made of, silver painted metal, body colour painted metal, satin anodised aluminium ? They don't look shiny chrome.

on the first generation bonnet, photo above, what are the headlight surrounds made of, silver painted metal, body colour painted metal, satin anodised aluminium ? They don't look shiny chrome.

The ones in the '747' photo are painted in body colour. Some 4s with the same grille had chrome surrounds:

PICT0006 (81).JPG

Here's one of the first generation grille with the chrome surround ('second generation' is the long chrome grille that encloses the headlights):

PICT0045 (16).JPG

You can get the headlight surrounds here - the ones you paint, or the chromed ones:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RENAULT-...HARE-CHROME-ou-PEINT-NEUF-CIBIE-/201997791517

'2nd generation' grille:

PICT0053 (16).JPG

they don't fit well on later cars as they changed to the full length grille design to clear the modded cross member for the longer 4 speed box end of 67
no doubt they do fit with modifications

Excellent Harbourseal ! What I had in mind - where are you based ?

Hi guys,
This is not my own work. But I copied it from a friends page.
I know the amount of work it takes to do this. It is a job for some days to do it right.

Hello Harbourseal- is this an R4F4 by the way ? :p

It is a Spanish Furgonetta Sobra Elevata. It is about 10 cm higher than a standard F4. This car originally had the 852cc Cleon engine that @bigoldboy is asking questions about in his topics.

It wil get a Phase 1 Renault 5 1400cc engine. And the owner likes the phase 1 Renault 4 looks. It’s becoming quite a retro car.

Last edited:
Back