Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Chassis again

Very Green

Enthusiast
Does anyone have any experience of fitting one of the "new" chassis to their earlier (post 1970) car. I was under the opinion that the front torsion bar mounts were the main difference between the two but I'm told that there are a number of modifications required. I'd be really keen to hear of any experiences (good or bad)

I've not fitted mine yet and it's for a late car. The chassis does have the later front torsion bar mountings. I think I've got a pair of new ones if handy. For me with the late car the main mod is increasing the hole size for the body mountings from 7mm to 8mm. For an early car the top of the rear chassis rails dipped and there was an extra piece on the body. I don't recall but guessing that was until 1973 ish. That bit on the body that causes the chassis to step down would need to be removed. The rear looks like it has the holes hor earlier suspension.

What info do you have? Can take photos of bits of my new chassis if it's any help.

Late chassis accepts early style rear axle (cam-adjusted) and vice versa, the mounting holes are on exactly the same position.

I've not fitted mine yet and it's for a late car. The chassis does have the later front torsion bar mountings. I think I've got a pair of new ones if handy. For me with the late car the main mod is increasing the hole size for the body mountings from 7mm to 8mm. For an early car the top of the rear chassis rails dipped and there was an extra piece on the body. I don't recall but guessing that was until 1973 ish. That bit on the body that causes the chassis to step down would need to be removed. The rear looks like it has the holes hor earlier suspension.

What info do you have? Can take photos of bits of my new chassis if it's any help.
Hi Malcolm, thank you for the info which is really appreciated. The difference I hadn’t originally noticed was the dip in the rear legs (which my car has) I’m assuming there is a strengthened section under the boot floor which may be missing from later cars? I had thought about the possibility of getting the torsion bar mounts removed from the original and changed for the purpose of originality but I guess that may be excessive. I’m feeling a bit conflicted between originality and having a super solid car which will last “forever” I waited 23 years to get the car so I’m not intending to part with it!

Back