Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Clementine's Road Trip

malcolm

& Clementine the Cat
I had a busy weekend picking up Renaults from around the country. It was great to meet up with fellow R4 enthusiats. I finally met up with Liam on Saturday afternoon when I picked up his Spanish TL. It's got one of the best chassis I've ever seen.

Next up to Stuarts to pick up an engine and bonnet I've been promising to collect since the start of the year. Made the mistake of taking a trailer up and ended up with a whole Renault 5 Gordini.

Finally down to central London to meet up with Robert and pick up his blue GTL. Driving in London was a nightmare and I was very late. Robert very kindly led me back to the M1 behind his very nice Renault 4.

I've got enough bits to make a really nice GTL and Gordini my '68 project. Should have a whole load of R5 MK1 bits left over if anyone is in need.

Seems I have 7 cars at the moment. For the sake of completeness I'll post photos of the rest.

• spanish-tl.jpg
    spanish-tl.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 505
  • gordini.jpg
    gordini.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 513
  • light-blue.jpg
    light-blue.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 492
  • 68-r4.jpg
    68-r4.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 498
  • ermintrude.jpg
    ermintrude.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 494
  • mga.jpg
    mga.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 505
  • mgb.jpg
    mgb.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 487
Last edited:
Exciting news - I got the Renault 5 Gordini running this afternoon. Once fuel and sparks were sorted out it started on all 4 cylinders, ran smoothly, idled by itself, and had good oil pressure. The clutch hadn't seized so I took it for a run up the farm track.

The engine will probably come apart for a good clean up before it makes it way into a Renault 4, but I don't think it'll need any work.

Thanks Stuart. :D

Robert sent up some photos of the Gordini running. It looks sweet with it's temporary fuel tank tied to the windscreen wiper and broken number plate.

Shame it's so completely rotten.

• gordini.jpg
    gordini.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 477
How many....

Clementine

You seem to have more R4's than is good for your health and so..........if you have possible 10 (my estimate?) and over 8 million were produced, how many do you estimate are still rolling along the roads of the world - 10,000?

I also see from the R5 Gordini pic that it has 3 stud wheels - Did all R5 wheel's have 3 studs?

...and finally, here is Clementines' continental cousin!!

• r4 francs 111 clem.jpg
    r4 francs 111 clem.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 449
I've only got 4 1/2 Renault 4s and one 5. Renault 5 Mk1s had 3 stud wheels, but the Supercinq had 4.

It would be nice to think there are more than 10.000 left, but just over the last couple of years they really seem to be drying up. Everyone seems to want shiny modern cars these days.

I've been fiddling with my yellow Renault this evening. Finally remembered to tighten the screw that holds the headlining in (it's been rattling for the last couple of years). What a difference. Now it's just the bootllid that rattles.

Where's here?

John

Where is here?

Anyone know this one apart from Ermintrude?

• r4 parisienne no plate ermin.jpg
    r4 parisienne no plate ermin.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 417
Location: BiH = Bosnia and Herzegowina. Thanks to our standard there are lot of old cars still running around. For example you still can see Fiat/Zastava 850 in every day use and plenty R4's.

Where's here?

Thats amazing John, and I thought 'here' would have been Eastbourne, Hebden Bridge or even Henley on Thames but Bosnia-Herzegowina.......... THATS REALLY COOL - Have a hot day!!

ps Is it true that this is how people always park their R4's in Bosnia?

• R4 parking 1.jpg
    R4 parking 1.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 434
Back