Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Dampers, again...

uaz04

Due Momianesi
With 185,000 kms on our R4, even though every technical inspection says the dampers are just fine, we want a new set all around. When the car is loaded, it tends to feel 'precarious'.
I got frustrated trying to order any of the relatively affordable gas dampers from France - shipping issues - so I phoned up our local Croatian parts supplier and asked for the proper KYB part numbers for Excel-G and Gas-A-Just. I couldn't believe my ear when he said they have them in stock! I double-confirmed the part numbers, then was gobsmacked by the low price!
So, I went to collect them...
They are KYB Premium, oil-filled, with different part numbers. Seems that when they put in the part numbers I requested, KYB automatically changes them for the oil-filled ones.
The supplier will phone the KYB factory today to see if there is any chance, but in the meantime he offered to give me an enormous discount for my troubles. All 4 KYB Premiums for less than 75 euros. I took them but will wait to hear what he finds out regarding the gas dampers. Then I can either return them or stick with the Premiums [and not spend any more money].
He thinks I'll be pretty happy with them, but in these and other forums I only read about upgrades to the gas shocks, or what to avoid.
Are there any positive stories about KYB oil-filled premium dampers? Any chance they make the ride height change? I don't want it to sit higher, that's for certain!
Our R4 is on the sporty side, and we definitely drive it that way.
Thanks for any advice or experience.

michael

I haven't come across KYB dampers.

All R4 dampers are oil filled, the gas pressurisation is good for the rear dampers as it prevents air bubbles forming when you drive quickly off road. In normal dampers the air bubbles would float to the top but in the rear of the R4 the dampers are horizontal and the air bubble just stays where it is so the first bit of wheel travel is un-damped. I've moved to an area where all the roads have tarmac so this shouldn't be much of a problem for me any more.

Dampers won't change ride height. The springs control that.

We put them on this morning, and over just 15 kms thus far there is a marked improvement over the old original ones...but I have to admit I am going to upgrade them to much stiffer ones in the future. It's only my personal sporty preference, of course. These KYB premiums are just fine, and at such a low price they are brilliant. Later today I'll load the car up with more weight and see how it handles around the curvy bits...

Hi there. I had KYB shockers on the back of my 4, and they were brilliant, always good under any conditions. She still rolled a lot on corners though, so I beefed up the front with a anti-roll bar from a R5 Gordini (16mm dia). On the back I fitted an a-r bar from an F4 van. These mods made a great difference.

Thanks, Cornish4! I would like to do the same with AR bars, as soon as I can find one from the F4!

Hey Petak, thanks for asking! They feel great when the car is 'unloaded', but when loaded with people and/or bikes it bounces and sways much more than I like. I've got a set of gas shocks on the way from France...I will change to these as soon as they arrive. Seriously though, the KYBs are quite ok - they feel like the original factory settings for the R4, maybe even better. It's just that my own preference is for a very stiff feeling. [and thus sayeth the bishop :)]

Is your R4 lowered than standard?
What did you buy now instead of kyb?

Also you have upgrade it with different carb and manifold?
Am i right?

Tell us little bit about that modification,and how car is driving now comparing to old original settings

I've got a 32mm Zenith carb and R5 manifold, Ducellier distributor, Boyer Bransden ignition kit, and a slightly larger exhaust pipe....starts and runs great, with a good deal of extra power. No downside whatsoever, including petrol consumption! We drove 8000 kms in April and May, between Serbia, Bosnia, Austria, Italy and France. Motorway cruising was usually around 125 or 130, all day long. I have noticed one thing though...I've backed off on the timing from my own setting [by personal 'feel'], because I had to reset the tappet clearances after a long trip at full speed and racing around the mountains. Since I retarded the timing just a hair, it's been fine no matter how I drive.
I have the Record MaxiGas dampers on the way, just to see how they feel.

Must write down that specs of yours.......need to talk with frik little bit :D

What is your petrol consumption?

I plan to organize myself one week tour across Croatia to visit all people who helped me with my project and who are not here on forum.

Just to see them and tell in person how much i appreciate their will to help friend in "lifetime" project....

You will be noticed when that day come......hope this autumn.

Hello Petak!

I put the MAXIGAS dampers on, replacing the KYB ones that I put on only 4 months ago, and I am VERY happy with the MAXIGAS! KYB were fine as long as the car was not loaded with passengers or bikes on top, but if so the car would sway and bounce more than I liked. With the MAXIGAS, it's much stiffer and handles much better. I haven't loaded it with passengers yet, but I am confident I'll be happy.

Back