Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Dashboard light.

edwin

Enthusiast
When I turn on the ignition the choke light comes on, and the water temperature light comes on. As the engine warms, and the choke is pushed in, the choke light goes off. However, the water temp light stays on.
I have driven the car for about 15 minutes max trip length,( no MOT at mo) and also had the engine idling for 15 minutes, and the water temp light does not go out. Any ideas. Its an '88 R4 GTL

Sounds like the wire to the sensor has shorted. It comes out of the bundle of wires going through the bulkhead and makes it's way to a sensor on the left rear of the cylinder head. Maybe it has touched the exhaust manifold.

Hi, and thanks for the advice. I will have a scrute of that wire. We have just had the head off for a gasket replacement, and it may be that it was not re fitted. Will look. Thanks.

Hi Malcolm. You mention a sensor on the left rear of engine, which way are you looking at the engine please. Edwin

This thing is the temperature sensor -

• temp-sensor.jpg
    temp-sensor.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 2
Hi I have had a look and can't see one of those on either side of the engine. There is a threaded (?) hole in the block at that position which may be the location of the mounting, or where a temp probe is inserted. I can see one random wire coming out of the loom, which has been fixed to the cross member between the inner wings. So at the moment confused. Regards Edwin

Later cars often had a sensible temperature sensor in the water pump. That could be what the wire is for.

Later cars often had a sensible temperature sensor in the water pump. That could be what the wire is for.
Thanks for all that. The Spanish has the wire but the sensor on the block is missing, and there is no sensor in the water pump housing . My French R4TL has the water pump sensor location. Thanks Edwin

Back