Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Door and window swap .

bigoldboy

Enthusiast
Hi there . I have just bought a 1972 Renault 4 tl that I would like to get ready for the road . I also have the opportunity to use spare parts from a 1982 4 gtl . Are the doors interchangeable and the glass . If so how do the doors come off .
Thank you Bigoldboy

I would fit the windows and plastic surrounds from the late car on the early doors. Fitting late style doors on early bodyshells is an awful lot of a job, if it's to be done properly.

Thank you for the replies . Is exchanging the window frames from a 1982 car to a 1972 car straight forwards or more trouble than it's worth .
Regards

You will find that it's easier to fit the plastic frames on than removing the old metal frames! You can use either the clips that hold the plastic window frames on the late cars, or drill holes on the frames for sheet metal screws.
Its a very worthwhile modification, if you don't care about losing the period-correct chrome profile at the inside of the windows.

Thank you for the info . I'm not quite ready to sort the windows and I am more keen to have the car usable sooner than period correct plus to keep things correct is pretty expensive for parts .
Thanks again

Back