Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Door seals

renault4ever

Enthusiast
Anyone know of a source for the rubber trim?

I have tried to get it from trim suppliers in the past like 'Edgware Motor Accessories' but the profile isn't quite right, and it's very expensive!

Is there an alternative available that anyone has used?

CJ

The door seal is the only bit of rubber I can think of on the door. Door seals were rumoured to be available from Renault at £35 each last year. Don't know whether there is any truth to the rumour as I used seals from a spares car to save money.

I tried trim suppliers for seals as well but none seemed to sell anything big or soft enough for the R4. Must be available somewhere off the roll surely.

As Clem said, the door seals were available at a price. But let's face it, the newest of our cars are going to around 18 old by now and rubber bits do deteriorate. These are the parts that manufacturers make obsolete far quicker than other parts. I'm not made of money, but certain items like door seals that harden and get squashed out of shape ought to replaced by the original item if you can still get them. There's nothing worse than a door that leaks or rattles because the rubber has lost it's oomph. I bit the bullet and bought a complete new set of rubber for my GTL including suspension bushes, engine/gearbox mountings etc for future use.

Edgeware may be able to get the door rubbers made as they are all the same profile, but there would need to be a minimum order and it's likely to be expensive anyway.

Steve

New seals would definitely be a good idea. I was washing my car the other day paying special attention to the door gaps. Found a big puddle on the floor when I'd finished.

I wonder if getting seals made could work out cheaper than buying them from Renault - after all there are about 16 metres of seal on the car. Let's say the minimum order was 50m that's only 4 people getting together. If anyone is up for it I'll do a little digging.

Yes please, I'm in for sure, I don't mind buying a roll at the right price and I'd be happy to sell it on to other members but it's just finding a supplier

CJ

Regarding a supplier, I would approach Edgeware first with a sample. They must have their rubber extrusions made for them and they would be able to give you a price and a minimum quantity. As Clem said. there's 16 metres (which is 17.5 yards in real measurement) so it may be viable for them to consider this request if enough people were interested. It's probably all made in China anyway :wink:

Steve

I forgot I'm working in Switzerland from maybe Wednesday next week. I'll be away for a couple of weeks. Chris - would you be able to make some enquiries about the door seals?

I had a look at Edgware's website http://www.rubbertrim.co.uk/ Looks like the minimum order for custom stuff is 30m so we could cover it between us, or do more if anyone else is interested.

All you need now is a piece of brand new rubber seal for them to use as a pattern. It would be no good sending them an old compressed piece as that shape will be replicated, albeit new.

You'll first need to ask them how big a piece they'll need - there's a chance I can help as I have some new original door seal, but I'm worried about cutting an inch off just in case Renault made them the exact length.

Steve

I'd be be proud to join the R4 door-seal co-operative - wonder what else can be sourced this way....

I'd be happy to make the enquiries with Edgware, but Steve's right, they will need a new piece of trim as a pattern and I haven't got any. I agree if you have some from Renault it will probabaly be the exact length.

Has anyone got any that isn't squashed flat?

Steve, what about your friendly dealer in Cambs, could he help?

I'm going to Normandy in a couple of weeks, if anyone has a contact over there, let me know.

CJ :cool:

Chris, the dealer in Cambs ordered it in for me - they don't keep it in stock. As regards getting some made, Edgeware would be more interested in the profile than the length. Clem said earlier that there's about 16 metres on each car, but the length needs to be exact plus another foot, say, so you can cut four pieces off to suit with some to spare.

I would be prepared to lend a new length of rubber for profiling purposes PROVIDING it was returned to me intact and postage costs covered etc.

First you need to find out how many people were interested and the cost involved. It may be worth spreading the message to other Renault 4 sites and getting deposits otherwise you could end up with miles of rubber sitting in the attic :cry:

Steve

I bought a rear door trim from my Renault Dealer earlier this year. It was not cheap, £26, but there is little alternative and that R4 does not let in water anymore.

Hi

Door seals are readily available from Renault.

I brought a new set of seals last year, the were not ridiculously expensive, even for the bottom section of the tailgate. Try Whitehouse Renault of Tunbridge Wells, Telephone: 01892 524655 (Direct Line Parts Dept.) They give good discounts too!

Cheers

Chris

Back