Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

dvla proof of age

dutch bloke

Enthusiast
Hi,

I have just purchased a 1972 renault 4 from Holland (it was originally registered in France) and I am currently restoring it to its former glory. I want to register it with the DVLA soon after it has passed its MOT. I need a letter from Renault to confirm that my chassis number corresponds with the year 1972. (I believe it was built January 1972). Without proof I think it might end up with a Q plate, which I don't want.

I have e mailed the renault owners club and classic renault club but neither have even bothered responding to my e mails. Does anyone know?

Thanks

Leon

The normal way to do the registration thing is to present the Dutch documents to the DVLA. That works fine as proof of age.

Failing that, the manufacture date apparently goes off the oval plate number rather than the chassis number. The Oval plate numbers are listed by date in the Renault parts books. Might just have a '72 one I could scan in for you. In the meantime the numbers are listed here: http://www.renault4.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=669&highlight=1973

Thanks for your reply Clementine,

The listed numbers are all R 1123 and R 1120 types. Mine is a R 1126 and the oval plate number is 60957.

If you could scan that page with my type and number that would be great.

Thanks again

Stuggling a bit - I have the PR953 parts book ('71 to '75) and it lists the R1126 up to at least oval plate number 140000, but I can't find any note about which model year is which. The obvious page lists the R1126 as a heading but there is no info.

Might be worth sending a private message to SimonAU (from that linked thread) to see it his manuals are any more useful.

Every single Renault vehicle ever produced has the "fiche d' usine". It is like an "identity card" and contains the date of production as well as other information,and you can obtain a copy. The problem is how... I had met the person who was responsible for this data at Retromobile 2005,and obtained the fiches for my R4s but he has changed position since then, and I have not been able to find another person in Renault France willing to help me. Maybe you can ask at Renault UK (importers) about this, better if they have a "Histoire & Collection" department like Renault France. I think Renault importers in your country will care a bit more about their most remarkable model ever, unlike those here...
By the way, if you have any news about it, post here to let others know,too.

I have e mailed Renault Histoire et collection in my best french today. (which isn't very good....) Hopefully they will come up with an answer. If they do I will ofcourse post it on the forum

Thanks for your reply

Back