Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Edwin from Lichfield

edwin

Enthusiast
Hi. I am Edwin, from Lichfield Staffs. Last year I bought a Beige LHD 85 R4TL with John an old friend of mine. Very basic car, rubber mats, no opening window in rear door, basic seats. We bought it in France. It was an impulse purchase during a trip to the tip. On the way there we came across this unloved car, it was for sale, and so by the time we returned to our house, we owned the car! It turns out to have been the local truffle collectors car, he used to go round the farms picking up the truffles to take to sell at market. So everyone know it. Its lovely to drive it around and be greeted all the time. Better than turning up in the VW, especially in this corner of France. The car has done 145,000 kms in 32 years, about 3000 miles per year, so is not a stressed car. its French registered and insured, with new Control Techniques and we have driven it back here to the UK for a bit of TLC. We will also service it and get a UK MOT inspection.
It has no rust, but the extremities do have dents and scratches. Since that buy we have bought two more R4's. One a RHD 78 wreck, from which we have extracted lots of spares, a back seat and parcel shelf and a wing. We will keep the engine as a spare. A lot of the rest will be up for grabs so if any one wants bits please contact me. The third car is a spanish LHD GTL, bought in Birmingham, which is perfect bodily, but had gasket failure and my pal John is rebuilding the engine as we speak, and soon that will be on the road as well. Our intention is that the first car will return to my house in France, so we can fly there and have transport when there. The second car shell will be available if anyone wants it , bit rusty at the frontView attachment 19150 View attachment 19151 , but if no one wants it it will be binned. The thirds car will probably stay with John in York as his toy here.
If there are any R4 nerds in the Lichfield area, we could meet up and talk cars.

Hello Edwin seems you and John have acquired a fleet and all very quickly. Great story I may well be interested in parts possibly the body shell if it's really good
PM me some photos perhaps ?
Good luck with your projects the little beige one looks lovely - kind of truffle coloured?! Maybe you should call it 'Truffles' :hug:

Hello Edwin seems you and John have acquired a fleet and all very quickly. Great story I may well be interested in parts possibly the body shell if it's really good
PM me some photos perhaps ?
Good luck with your projects the little beige one looks lovely - kind of truffle coloured?! Maybe you should call it 'Truffles' :hug:
Hi Jonathan.
You are welcome to the shell. There are bits that are rusty, and bits that are perfect. There is a hole in the front floor, and at the suspension points, but the back floor is good. The bulkhead is rusty and nearside front door jamb and hinge points are bad. At there moment the tyres are such that it can't go on the road. It rolls, but the tyres are cracked and you would not want to tow it. We are selecting bits for maintenance purposes, engine and bits, brake shoes, exhaust, corners, lights bits for the interior.
There will be four seats, all the glass inc heated rear screen, door catches, wheels, rear hatch, though tiny bit of rust to bottom but not dented . Black RHD dashboard, and all the bits inc steering wheel. Black grille, grille under windscreen is all there but it has a small crack. There are the front parcel shelves, a RH front seat belt.

If the rear parcel shelf is black then Simon Knight on here wants to buy one

Back