Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Engine Flush

Richnd1974

Enthusiast
Afternoon all, spent a day driving my R4 to meetings yesterday as they were all about 25 miles away and so racked up about 80 miles in total, as the oil has been in there for a year now I plan to drain and refill with some fresh 20/50 and new filter, should I flush the engine with Wynns Engine Flush - see what gunk I can remove from it ? anyone else done this ?

I've never done that, although I once changed the oil and filter twice in quick succession with a similar aim in mind.

My vote is never flush the engine. Only bad things can happen. It's not an oil so you will wear away the bearings. If you do displace gunk it can flow around and block some passageway. If the engine is working now it will keep on working with regular oil changes.

Thanks All.. I shall not do it.. just change the oil now and then do it again in about 6 months. Agree that if it dislodges gunk it might cause more damage... it's running well now so just a fresh sump of oil should do the job :-) Cheers for now :-)

I've just drained the oil, waiting for a while before refilling with fresh stuff. New filter installed as well

I second the above; for a badly-gunged-up engine, it's probably best so slowly dissolve the sludge with fresh oil every month or so for a couple of years before returning to a more normal schedule.

I'm always afraid of flushing an engine.
So I agree with the guys up here, better to go on with regular and frequent changes.

Back