Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Faulty starter?

De Lorean

Enthusiast
Hi everyone, I am new to this forum.

I dont own an R4 yet, but I am minding one in my garage for a friend. Its a 1985 model, black, and does not start! He didnt have a garage, and kids in his street were damaging it so I had to take her in.
Anyways, the owner suspects the starter motor.

When I turn the key, nothing happens except a slight dimming of the ignition lights. I suspect a bad solenoid or a bad earth.

Any tips on removing the solenoid/motor for inspection?

Thanks

I had a similar problem with my R4, it turned out to be the earth lead from the battery, took it off, cleaned up all the points of contact and now she starts up just fine.

Thanks.

Well I just cleaned it at the battery end to no effect. The part where the cable attaches to the body is proving extrememly difficult to get off. I have just left it to soak in WD-40 and I will try again later.

Ok, got the body end off, nice and clean, and it still wont start. So, I am now thinking the starter is gone. I have left the battery to charge overnight though as it was completely flat and I think my jump box isnt the greatest.

I still have fuses to check. Anything other than that before the starter comes out?

Thanks

Starters are a pain on the R4. Problem I keep having is the electric connections inside the solenoid are in a direct line of fire of dust from the clutch. If the other connections are sound it's well worth removing the starter and then removing the solenoid for a good clean. Frederick wrote something abaout doing this: http://www.renault4.co.uk/tech-starter-motor.htm

Back