Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Femsa Distributor electronic ignition possible?

NickB

Enthusiast
Hello
I have an 87 R4 with Femsa R244 D61 distributor
Is there an electronic ignition kit for this distributor? I can’t seem to find a specific one but that part number is referenced on some kits.
Many thanks

Fitted a Gammatronix kit onto my femsa distributor, does not replace the points but has worked perfectly, the points become l/t instead of a h/t part of ignition system, therefore don't wear at normal rate, kit suggest points will last up to 50,000miles, condenser becomes redundant, I have nowhere near covered that yet but since installation I have not had to touch anything related to the ignition side of engine. Would recommend, has made engine start and run smoother, easy to fit, easy to get off of ebay and not expensive.

Thank you both - do you know a reference number? Quick eBay search only comes up with bike ones.

just a reminder for those systems using points as a triggering device
1 the plastic heel wearing on the metal square of distributor shaft will mean the gap gets closer over time as this happens the ignition timing gets progressively retarded
2 poor quality reproduction points also suffer with spring failure resulting in sudden fail to proceed moment
so folks always carry spares

Why does the brand ‘Intermotor’ spring into my mind reading your post:dontknow:

I rushed out and bought one of these Gammatronix sets and decided that it might be best to replace the points before fitting it. Fitting the new set was fairly straightforward (and a skill that I learned many years ago - but never Femsa!) but after a few attempts at setting the 0.4mm gap recommended by the resident frog I now have a car that misfires and hesitates over quite a large range. It idles smoothly but doesn't like to be revved. I did not disturb the distributor other than taking the cover plate off to fit the points so I presumed that I couldn't have upset the timing. I no longer have a strobe light to check so before I trawl the net for one is there anything else I can check?

There is a v-good thread in the ‘Tech Tips’ ( coloured blocks at top of home page) about changing and adjusting the points on a Femsa dizzy, like yourself had had lots of experience on more standard dizzies, the Femsa design being new to me found this thread very helpful, this should also show you how to get the advance/retard settings done which if it was ok before new points sounds like it may need a tweek, I haven’t used a strobe on mine but rely on the old school advance it until it sounds like the engine is picking up and revving smoothly and quickly when applying throttle from tickover throughout the rev range, then driving up hills in higher gears and if it pinks retarding it slightly until it doesn’t. ( Then fit the Gammatronix, you will love it more:) )

Well I tried adjusting the timing but just couldn't get the engine to run smoothly so I thought I'd try another set of points (and worth mentioning that the original set that I decided to replace were well wasted although the car has always ran well). The first replacement set were Wipac but the only other set I had was Intermotor and they definitely looked superior, and after a couple of attempts at gapping them I've finally got a smooth running engine (with the timing back where it was). Now for the technology upgrade........

I used to think that my car ran pretty well but now with new points and Gammatronix it is super smooth and quieter. Amazing!

Back