Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Finally took the courage...

Azazello

habitué
It is a couple of years since I bought this nice 1975 export... and now I decided it was time to begin her complete restoration, doing what I never did before, beginning with the engine removal

20150425_161245.jpg

and following chassis/body separation

20150425_191706.jpg

20150426_160705.jpg

Now I will dismantle the rest of the stuff on the chassis in order of making some welding and paint it, while the body will go to the body shop.
Very worried about taking away rear and front axles... i fear not to be able to put them on again!
But even with all those preoccupations I am very proud of my work!

I'm sure Andrea that you will get lots of encouragement and good advice on your "journey", so not to worry. As one who has restored one or two cars in the past, it's not as daunting as you think, and as long as you work methodically and with care you will get there.

I am happy to hear you are going that road.

It all depends on how detail you are planing to go.

But it is much easier than it looks. R4 is simple car.

For me worst part of whole process is cleaning old paint and rust and preparing parts for galvanizing or painting.

But then again i went little bit to far in some details.

My advice ( if i may;)) take detail notes when dismantling and tons of pictures.....they are saving my ass sometimes

Good luck and post pictures of your progress

Very worried about taking away rear and front axles... i fear not to be able to put them on again!

When I restored mine, I took off all the parts of the car EXCEPT the rear and front axles, I work on R4s for almost 25 years and I never touched these particular parts, I'm sure I woudn't never be able to adjust them correctly after fitting them on the chassis :ashamed: :ashamed:

While I am waiting for the body to go to the body shop (the man should come and take it on tuesday) and have a bit of room in my box to work easily, with the help of a friend I am preparing the rotissoire to work on the chassis...

20150508_184503_zpstfkait8l.jpg

20150508_184455_zpsgr1lkigg.jpg

And yesterdy evening in a raptus I tried to play a bit with this set of hammers I recently bought from ebay..

With this you are planing to rotate whole car?

Are this hammer any good?
Iam tempted to buy them for a while but not shure are they smart thing to buy or is it just throwing money away

Don't know, needed to buy an item in order to have shipped a substitution for a broken spraygun... and I choose this ones. I am not an expert neither a good judge, but they seem to work...

Hi Azazello

I bought the same set of hammers. Although expensive have proven thier worth already. I enjoy tin bashing. Very satisfying getting dents out with no filler. There are some really good tutorials by a New Zealander on you tube . I do think the the kit would benefit with a proper flat surface in it. Some of the dollys are not well shaped

Thank you JonathanT for describing those hammers and dollys

Hi Azazello

I bought the same set of hammers. Although expensive have proven thier worth already. I enjoy tin bashing. Very satisfying getting dents out with no filler. There are some really good tutorials by a New Zealander on you tube . I do think the the kit would benefit with a proper flat surface in it. Some of the dollys are not well shaped
Sometimes i just use a normal hammer as a flat dolly!

sleeping on the floor is not too bad, Azazello, its more important to have a workshop that functions well:laughing:

Nice job with your rotissoire!

Impressive! Going to make welding the chassis so much easier I can really see the benefit of taking a little time to make your rotisserie

Back