Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Front brake hose problem

mojobaby

Enthusiast
I bought two front brake hoses from Franzose and as you can see the end that fits to the brake pipe is slightly different from the old ones. It's a lot shorter!

They are supposed to protrude all the way through the fixing bracket so that the securing clip can fit into the groove above the bracket and hold it tightly in place.

They're actually so short that I can't even see the groove.

I haven't yet come across a solution. The bracket has an extra "layer" that is spot welded to the upper bracket, perhaps I can cut the bottom layer off.

I could also cut a slot in the bracket and slide the hose in from the side so that the hexagonal nut shape part of the hose rests on top of the bracket.

As it is in the photo, there is nothing to stop the hose from dropping down out of the bracket.

Has anyone come across this problem before and any tips on the best way to solve the problem

IMGP1615.JPG IMGP1616.JPG IMGP1617.JPG

Hi Mojobaby

There were two different types of flexible hose fitted on to the fronts of the 4GTL, both different lengths, despite the difference in shape of the end pieces, are the old and new flexible hoses the same length tip to tip?

Thanks JC, they're exactly the same length, about 50/51 cms.

Where I say that they're too short, I meant that the metal fitting at the end of the hose is too short.

The top of the hexagonal piece stops against the bottom of the bracket and the groove is supposed to be visible above the bracket so that the clip can be inserted

Thanks JC, they're exactly the same length, about 50/51 cms.

Where I say that they're too short, I meant that the metal fitting at the end of the hose is too short.

The top of the hexagonal piece stops against the bottom of the bracket and the groove is supposed to be visible above the bracket so that the clip can be inserted
Your pipes look correct.You must fit them so that the part nut shaped fits into the bracket and then the hose will come through far enough for the clips.Look under the bracket you should see a shape to secure the hex on the pipe.That may need a good clean out

Thank you Ggcton, I never thought to look underneath the bracket, I just assumed that it was round like the top.

This is what I found when I started on the passenger side today (left hand drive) I'm sure that it will fit once I get the hexagonal of the brake hose into the hex-shape of the bracket.

Over the weekend, I'll have to redo the drivers side. As you say, it needs a little cleaning as well. Thanks for your help:)

IMGP1618.JPG IMGP1624.JPG

Back