Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Front number plate

Paul Narramore

pre-moderated
Correct me if I'm wrong but I understand that all R4s had their front number plates mounted below the grill and on the bonnet. When the GTL came along an extra grill was added on so the front numberplate was then mounted on the front bumper. Right so far? I have read somewhere that if the numberplate is actually mounted over this grill, then the heater fails to work as well? This doesn't sound quite right as a little less cooling air enters the engine compartment and if it makes any detectable difference at all, the heater might even be a smidgeon better. Discuss.

The early GTLs before 1985 had an extra cooling grille on the bonnet, then they decided they didn't need it for later ones. I tend to cover it with a number plate as I think it looks ugly.

Ah thanks, so 'my' 1986 GTL won't have the extra grill. I think the numberplate mounted on the bumper doesn't looks as good

I intend to mount my number plate on the bonnet too. I agree its a much prettier location. My bonnet doesnt have the grille (was off another culprit in the past)

I do have a slight worry though. The imprint in the bonnet to accept the number plate is smaller than most off the peg plates. Reading the law on this it seems perfectly possible to trim the plate to fit as long as the numbers/letters spacial size shape are not impinged?

any advice would be appreciated... otherwise im just gonna doit!

best not mount the number plate flush against the bonnet as this Will collects dust/muck and moisture.
Also the number plate Will rub against the paint and wear it off eventually.

-I placed a 10mm.thick washers onto the screws between nr.plate and body-easy to flush out and keep
clean in there -R.

Jonathan, You are right, the law on numberplates relates to the size, spacing and style of letters/numbers and not to the actual dimensions of the plate itself. However it would look naf IMO and Reid's method with perhaps rubber tap washers between numberplate and bonnet would be best.

Don't forget to also grind a bit out from the number plate to clear the starting handle bump in the front crossmember. Otherwise the plate cracks when you open the bonnet.

• claude-number-plate.jpg
    claude-number-plate.jpg
    193.7 KB · Views: 0
Back