Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Fuel pump problem

serrano

Enthusiast
Hello,

My 1986 R4 fuel pump is leaking oil, nothing major, but annoying all the same.

The pump is fairly new and seems perfect. I suspect the oil is simply going past the gaskets or along the bottom bolt. I can’t understand what could cause this, as the 3 gaskets are new, the Bakelite one is perfect as well as the metal plate. I would imagine that the bolts are torqued sufficiently too.

Anyone knows what could be causing this leak?

Also, did the latest R4 models use the same metal rod between the camshaft to the fuel pump, or did they use another type of fuel pump?

Any help will be much appreciated.

Cheers

There are a gaskets on both sides of the plastic spacer, and the spacer itself might crack if the bolts have been overtightened so it is worth inspecting.

Normally the fuel pumps leak oil through the breather at the top. The breather hole is along the line of rivets that hold the two sections of the pump together. I've never taken one apart, but I suspect that problem is due to a rubber seal inside the pump which can fail with age. Certainly new pumps don't leak through the breather.

If oil isn't leaking through the breather and the bakalite is OK then removing the pump and fitting new gaskets sealed with a gasket compound such as hermatite red should cure the problem.

There are a couple of differnt types of fuel pump. One has a push rod that acts against the camshaft and one has a lever. The bakalite bit is different between the two, and if you change from lever to push rod the rod won't come with the pump.

Thanks very much for your help and information.

I’ll put some gasket compound and, as you suggested, this should cure the problem. I’ll also have another look at the pump but it’s virtually new, and oil is leaking from underneath it. The Bakelite spacer is new too, and was difficult to get from the local Renault garage that had to refer to their old paper manuals to find the part number. On their computer system, the Bakelite spacer is no longer listed, and instead appears a 4mm brown spacer without the push rod hole. Could this be the spacer for the lever-type fuel pump?

If the gasket compound doesn’t cure it, I will consider changing from the push-rod type to the lever-type of fuel pump.

I’ll let you know once I’ve cracked it…

Thanks again.

Sorted!

The oil was finding its way out along the bottom bolt, even though the Renault gaskets were new, and the bolts were well tightened.

I just cut out new gaskets and used a good gasket compound on them. Problem solved, simply and efficiently. Thanks for the tip.

I have two 4L and the fuel pump spacer are different, one is baclite and other have a metal spacer.. both engines uses the lever fuel pump.. anyone knows why the push roads uses the baclite and metal at the same time and the lever only one spacer?

Back