Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

gearbox & engine rejoin

Melissa

Enthusiast
any help & suggestions on how to bolt these two together the best way, I tried yesterday with the gearbox on a skateboard, lined up at exactly the same height as the block so it would move towards the engine as I did up the bolts but there was an incredible amount of resistance to doing up the bolts, felt like it was way too much, should it be this hard or am i doing something wrong?! Thanks

Hi

Once the engine block and gearbox are perfectly aligned heightwise. You will need to turn the engine whilst trying to engage the gearbox shaft. An assistant is handy for this. Whilst one person is offering up the gearbox to the engine block and trying to engage the gearbox shaft, get an assistant to turn the engine by wedging a large and long flat ended screwdriver between the flywheel ring gear teeth via the aperture in the gearbox bell housing and pushing it in a downward direction (the rotation would be clockwise from this position). You will find that as the flywheel is being turned the gearbox will slide forwards slightly and engage and once engaged, there should no longer be any resistance when trying to do up the bolts.

Last edited:
Hi

Once the engine block and gearbox are perfectly aligned heightwise. You will need to turn the engine whilst trying to engage the gearbox shaft. An assistant is handy for this. Whilst one person is offering up the gearbox to the engine block and trying to engage the gearbox shaft, get an assistant to turn the engine by wedging a large and long flat ended screwdriver between the flywheel ring gear teeth via the aperture in the gearbox bell housing (the rotation would be clockwise from this position). You will find that as the flywheel is being turned the gearbox will slide forwards slightly and engage and once engaged, there should no longer be any resistance when trying to do up the bolts.
That's great many thanks I thought I was doing something wrong!

Back