Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Getting my R4 back on the road ... few questions

Bertl

Goißatreiber
After I had picked up my car in 2009 it became soon apparent that the car hat been maintained constantly by the original owner, but the usual rust traps were present. I changed the chassis for a zinc coated and sealed one, but the body shell and doors proved to be rotten as well - certainly not beyond repair, but beyond what I could do and pay for at the time)
To get the car back on the road as quickly as possible, the body was temporarily replaced by a red '87 one that came from a car that had been in an accident. It served well for two years, but since 2014 the R4 has been waiting to be restored properly. I got a replacement body in very good condition that matches the '78 model year and will require much less work than the original one. I had already collected doors, bonnet and a rear door, but my garage never got round to tackling the project.

Now this (hopefully final) replacement body is being prepared for the paintwork, and I'll have to try and put back everything in order, re-fitting the old style dashboard.

body1.jpg

I hope you can help me with a few questions:

What material is used as a seal for the air vents? Is this bitumen tape? Looks like there's some fabric tape in the back as well. Any recommendations?

air vent.jpg

My original R4 body (and indeed the '87 replacement) are fitted with the cloth roof liner which I'd like to transfer over to the "new" body. I've read up on the fiddly procedure, but what bothers me is if it can be fitted at all, since the "new" body came with the plastic one-piece roof liner.

body2.jpg

Thanks!

Robert

I like the plastic ceiling. It comes out in one piece, and i washed mine, repaired a hole, filled it, fibre glassed the back for reinforcement, painted it, put some of the hi tech multi foil building insulation above it, and put it back. Now the car does not overheat as much in the sun. And it looks great.

After I had picked up my car in 2009 it became soon apparent that the car hat been maintained constantly by the original owner, but the usual rust traps were present. I changed the chassis for a zinc coated and sealed one, but the body shell and doors proved to be rotten as well - certainly not beyond repair, but beyond what I could do and pay for at the time)
To get the car back on the road as quickly as possible, the body was temporarily replaced by a red '87 one that came from a car that had been in an accident. It served well for two years, but since 2014 the R4 has been waiting to be restored properly. I got a replacement body in very good condition that matches the '78 model year and will require much less work than the original one. I had already collected doors, bonnet and a rear door, but my garage never got round to tackling the project.

Now this (hopefully final) replacement body is being prepared for the paintwork, and I'll have to try and put back everything in order, re-fitting the old style dashboard.

View attachment 25998

I hope you can help me with a few questions:

What material is used as a seal for the air vents? Is this bitumen tape? Looks like there's some fabric tape in the back as well. Any recommendations?

View attachment 25999

My original R4 body (and indeed the '87 replacement) are fitted with the cloth roof liner which I'd like to transfer over to the "new" body. I've read up on the fiddly procedure, but what bothers me is if it can be fitted at all, since the "new" body came with the plastic one-piece roof liner.

View attachment 26001

Thanks!

Robert
ROB, kindly provide me the" the fiddly procedure " in writing with photos or sketches, if any

Back