Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

GTL Stop light switch removal

Ewhorn

Enthusiast
Hi All
The stop light switch on my '89 GTL is not working, which I suspect is simply dirty contacts in the switch. However I can't see how to remove the switch from it's position above the pedal. Any tips would be appreciated.

Hi,
when you press the brake pedal the switch makes contact inside the assembly. In other words the spring inside makes the contact when the brake pedal comes loose from the switch. Most of the times there is some grime on the outer end of the switch and it makes it stick and it won't come out to make the contact.
Before you by anything new try to undo the switch by jus pushing it in and pull it out again until it operates freely.

If that fails to do the trick. Undo the jack with the wires by pulling it of the switch.
Then the tricky bit comes up. Unscrewing the switch.
I did it just a week ago on a Sinpar van.
I put a socket (17-19mm) over the end of the switch. That is a bit of a fiddle because of the location underneath the dashboard.
And unscrewed it with a socket wrench.
It takes a long time because of the length of the thread. And because you can not make a long stroke with the socket wrench.

I do hope you can follow this.

Thanks harbourseal, I'll let you know how I get on. I've already tried the fixed you suggested, and the plunger is moving ok, so the fort must be inside the switch. I'll have a go tomorrow at removing it and let you know how things go.

Thanks harbourseal, I'll let you know how I get on. I've already tried the fixed you suggested, and the plunger is moving ok, so the fort must be inside the switch. I'll have a go tomorrow at removing it and let you know how things go.
I hate predictive text - 'fort' should be 'dirt' and 'fixed' should be 'fixes' . Hope that's clear.

Hi Harbourseal

I did as you suggested and got the thing out, despite the plastic thread being slightly damaged. Cleaned the contacts inside the switch but still no go. I'll have to get a new one somewhere.

Thanks again

Ewan Horne

When they Renault 4 was first produced they used a brass thread which usually will undo with your fingers the plastic thread is more resistant and a pain some other Renaults of the. Had the switch in a more friendly location found you one on eBay if you're still looking
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/332214850592
Paul

Thanks for this. Is the brass switch you found a straight swap for the plastic one? Obviously the plug connector would have to go but that's no problem. I have already asked Christian Ebeyer if he has an original, but if not I'll go for the brass one.

Ewan Horne

Some r4 had the push in plastic chunky type
Some where like the plastic threads with lock nuts
Really old 60s and 70s 4 had switch under bonnet hydraulically operated Screenshot_20190810-153353_eBay.jpgScreenshot_20190810-153408_eBay.jpg

Back