Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Hello all from France

joonthefarm

Hello everybody, I m so pleased to have found this forum.

I live in central-ish France.
After numerous car problems which living in a fairly isolated spot ( which we love)
is causing me lots of problems I have decided I definitely need a small and economical car for every day short journeys to school and local town.

In my search I am very drawn towards an R4 partly because I've always hankered after one, partly through intense dislike of modern vehicles with electric everything and partly because I'm thinking I might be able to manage some of the simpler fixes + also my 9 year old son who desperately wants to be a mechanic would love something simple that he can understand, learn about and help to maintain and fix.

So if this seems like a crazy and unrealistic plan and I am likely to spend most of my time repairing him/her please tell me and I will resort to an old twingo/clio etc. plan B

Otherwise if any of you that are not too far away from me in france know of a mechanic/workshop that will be able to help when necessary in the event of taking the plunge, I would be very grateful and reassured.

Many thanks for having me on your forum and bonne journée à tous!

Hi there joon-and very welcome to the forum. You're lucky to be living in France when it comes to Renault 4 ,
so should be able to find at least some older mechanic you can lean on in a situation.. -Reid.

Hi Reid
Thank you so much for your welcome.

Yes there are quite a few cars to choose from, although none very close and it's difficult to know which is likely to be the best choice especially with the recent and very strict changes to the controle technique here.

I've not done very well in finding a reliable mechanic yet but I am very much hoping that I can find someone ideally an R4 enthusiast not too far away for the repairs that we can't do and hopefully for accompanying advice etc as we are keen to learn!
I've learnt quite a bit already from this forum I think my son is going to be looking on it frequently!

Jo

Jo, I live in Bessines Sur Gartempe not very far from you and recently, 3 months ago, purchased a 1982 R4. Best thing i ever did, takes me back some years as i like to tinker and while she has been 100% reliable 36 years of life has meant there is allways something to do if you look hard enough. Yes the new ct is tougher, almost up to UK MOT standard, but would you want your son travelling on anything unsage so it really s nothing to fear. There are plenty of sound R4s to be found and lots of bad ones too, look on leboncoin.fr and you will find many within 60k, for me it had to be a 1982 or later to get the bigger engine, as you knw they are some hills around here and it makes using the A20 lessdangerous as you can keen up with the heavy trucks. I woud be happy to help and guide you on any repairs which are outside of your comfort zone.

Bruce

Hello Bruce

Really lovely to hear from you, you've made me feel even more enthusiastic, the idea of having someone just down the road happy to chat over issues that may come up is very reassuring.
You are absolutely right about the new CT, I agree that the safety of vehicles on the road is paramount. I have just been feeling a bit shocked, my lovely old car having recently failed it leaving us without any transport. And I suppose the idea of buying a much older car worries me a little as there seem to be so many more things that could need doing but it's just probably my paranoid interpretation, I'm certainly no mechanic but very keen to learn.
Do you think it's a bad idea to consider anything with much over 60k then ? 2 of the potentials I have been looking at, 1 has nearly 200000km and the other nearly 100000km.
I am limited by budget but would rather try and get the best I can to start with.
I'll keep looking but it's getting a bit desperate as we can't manage much longer without a car but at the same time don't want to rush into a bad choice.

Have a great day!

Jo

Jo, others may disagree but i would go for good bodywork and chassis every time, repairing mechanical items is easy by comparison. I dont know what your other car failed on but provided rust has not got hold any failed mechanical items on a 4 are well within the capabilities of an owner armed with a Haynes comic assisted by the people on this forum. My car had done 98,000 kms over 36 years so low mileage, and the R4s engines and gearboxes are very robust if not abused. The only things i have changed so far were due to rubber perishing with age on the ball joints rather than wear.

The 200,000 car if well maintained could be better than the 1000,000 only a good look and a test drive can confirm that. I am not in the market for another so feel free to pm me the details if you want an opinion.

I would totally agree with you Bruce that makes perfect sense to me, just as I see buildings really, if the structure is sound the rest can be sorted.
It's very kind of you to offer to cast your eye over the cars I am looking at, that would be great but I'm afraid I can't work out how to PM you! I've been searching but can't see a link.
If anyone can enlighten me I will happily send you the details.

Jo

Hi Jo, you just need to click on someone's name to the left of one of their forum posts then click on 'Start a conversation'.

Good luck finding a Renault 4 :)

Hello everybody, I m so pleased to have found this forum.

I live in central-ish France.
After numerous car problems which living in a fairly isolated spot ( which we love)
is causing me lots of problems I have decided I definitely need a small and economical car for every day short journeys to school and local town.

In my search I am very drawn towards an R4 partly because I've always hankered after one, partly through intense dislike of modern vehicles with electric everything and partly because I'm thinking I might be able to manage some of the simpler fixes + also my 9 year old son who desperately wants to be a mechanic would love something simple that he can understand, learn about and help to maintain and fix.

So if this seems like a crazy and unrealistic plan and I am likely to spend most of my time repairing him/her please tell me and I will resort to an old twingo/clio etc. plan B

Otherwise if any of you that are not too far away from me in france know of a mechanic/workshop that will be able to help when necessary in the event of taking the plunge, I would be very grateful and reassured.

Many thanks for having me on your forum and bonne journée à tous!

Hi Joon. I bought a very basic ( no opening windows in back doors) '85 R4 TL 845 cc. two years ago, when i spotted it quite by chance on the way to the dechetterie. I keep it over there at my house so I can fly in rather than drive each time I go. Paid 1k€ for it. Total repairs, etc about another 1k€ total. I drove it back here, great trip, did some refettling, had a UK MOT check to make sure all was good and it was, and drove it back. Another great adventure. I did 65mpg on both trips. Its one of the best things I have done. Its easy to get fixed, and as someone has already said, there is somebody near you, wherever you are, who is itching to help you with it. Its lovely driving the car, its built for the place. I live in a hilly area and 845cc appears OK even with a trailer. These days driving slowly helps with the problems of the speed check cops. You are greeted everywhere you go, people chatting or flashing you. Watch going to a Renault dealer. They will help, but can use set Renault hourage for the work which can lift the price. But there will be a feral garage somewhere , or an old chap who will help. And this Forum is exceptionally good and helpful with all aspects of Renaulting. My place is in the top corner of the LOT. Regards Edwin

Thanks so much jjad, that's really helpful I think I have managed that now.

That's a great tale Edwin, I love it! I guess your lovely car must have been in good structural condition, or did you have to rebuild it? Did you do it all yourself? I love the Lot too as well as Aveyron. How often do you come over?

Yes I can imagine them catching lots of eyes, they always do mine. They're so appealing and friendly looking. My girls are just as excited about the lovely tartan interiors !

Well you've all made me more excited about the prospect of our own R4, - just when I came across a cheap old skoda that would probably make a good second car! Ooh what to decide!?

What a friendly helpful place this forum is. Thanks so much already!

Hi, This is my car. Its solid , but needed some painting, a wing replacing because it was badly dented, some shocks and a service, and work on the interior. Edwin

• WP_20170411_001.jpg
    WP_20170411_001.jpg
    401.9 KB · Views: 3
Bonjour Joon and a very warm welcome to the forum.
My first car was a R4 GTL (1983) and drove approx. 450.000 km with it within 5 years... but the rust was faster due to Dutch weather (almost the same as Great Britain :D)
You're in search for a R4 there is enough to be found. Try a site as https://www.leboncoin.fr and for mechanical, maintanance and/or search/info issues try http://www.la4ldesylvie.fr

Bon voyage et cordialement,
Joop (Pays-Bas)

Back