Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Hello and can anyone help?

balfie

Hello! Just found this site while looking for Renault 4s on the internet.

My very first car was a Renault 4. She was brown and when we went to look at her, amongst all the other information we were told by the lady that owed her 'by the way, her names Hovis'. Probably because being the shape she was and brown she looked like a loaf of bread! :yellowre: Anyway the name came with her and she was always known as Hovis until the day she died when an idiot drove into me at some traffic lights and wrote her off. I have to admit I cried my eyes out the day they came to tow her away. That was back in 1992 and I still have her number plate as a keepsake and the tax disc that was on her.

She was a fantastic car, full of character and I remember coming out of a night shift and there was thick snow. I walked past a man having problems starting his newish car, got into Hovis and she started first time. In fact the only time I ever had a problem starting her was when I went on holiday for 2 weeks. She didnt start the first time but she started the second time! Other than that started first time every time, come what may. She had a bench front seat and her windows slid across to open. No handle inside the door, just a gep that you put your hand in and pressed down to open. Handbrake was under steering wheel and gear stick came out of dash board.

I loved that car!

Anyway, enough waffling. I wonder if anyone can answer a question for me? Hovis had chrome bumpers, door handles, boot handle etc and the funny curvy 'handle' things that come out of the front and curve down to the front bumper were chrome as well. The pictures I see of Renault 4s always seem to have plastic looking or coloured bumpers and handle things. Is the type with the chrome a particular mark or type of Renault 4? Any help and advice will be greatfully received!!!

Thanks in advance.
Balfie
x

Welcome to the forum Balfie,

In the UK the chrome bumpers and trim are dependent on year.

The car you had would have been approx 1968 to 1972. Those ones are my favourite and give you chrome bumpers, a nice full width metal grille and a sporting chance of a bench front seat.

From 1973 to maybe 1981 (someone might know the date) The Renault 4 came in TL form. The bench seat was replaced by separate vinyl seals and the nice metal grille was replaced by a black plastic one. The chrome bumpers and body trim strips remained.

The post 1981 cars were GTLs, and were given the beige front grille, the plastic things on the bottom of the doors, and tartan cloth covered seats. They also got a bigger engine.

The loaf of bread name is quite good - I suppose the cars do look square with rounded corners.

Thanks for reply. Mine was pre 1972 then. Had chrome bumper s and a bench front seat. Very interesting info. Thanks again!

Back