Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Hello from a fellow fanatic

R4fanatic

Enthusiast
Hello all!

I am so glad to join you finally as a member AND a proud owner. Any of you who look into my past messages will see how long I've been after an R4 van.... well, thanks to help from forum hero Tomcat and a lucky EBay find, I am the new owner of a bright yellow Spanish-made R2108 F4 van (1979) with high-top and folding rear seat. It has the 852 cc engine and lots of other oily bits I don't profess to understand very well, but I hope to learn about with your kind assistance!

In that regard, the very kind Tomcat has been helping me lately with information, manuals and advice specific to my variant, and I truly believe I'd not even have the van today had I not simply arrived on his doorstep out of the blue a few weeks ago having spotted the gorgeous blue R4 on his drive. I think it put my missus at ease that the Renault folk are just so lovely!

Tomcat has been so extremely generous with his time and efforts, and I can see that some of those have been aided by your kind responses to his posts. Many thanks to kind souls such as angel, harbourseal, Andy McGhee, Brian Whiteside and I am sure others who have shared information, PDFs, experience and more. I felt a little daunted when the van overheated on the way back from Dover and thought perhaps I'd let my heart get the better of my head, but since then I've learned about bleeding the cooling system, found a local radiator re-coring place (thanks Tomcat) and found the correct replacement clutch for my van.

My very first car was a 1963 Renault 4 van back in South Africa (pic attached!). That one arrived with cardboard floor boards ... you could put your feet through the holes left by the rust! Still, I wish I'd saved it from rusting away altogether - it was 100% pleasure. I always wanted to get another one... and since turning 40 this year, that became a bit of an obsession. I am so excited to join the club with you all!

A bit about me: I'm an IT consultant, born in Maidstone, Kent but raised in Durban, South Africa. I live in Milton Keynes, UK now. I have a patient wife and a very excited little boy of 5 who loves Daddy's workshop and vans. Yes, there's also a VW Type 2 bay window on the drive, 2 boring Passats and a lovely Vespa PX125. All the gear and no idea!

van SA.jpgvan 2.jpg

Chat soon and thanks again for all your help! I'll be posting for advice soon I'm sure.

Regards,

Andrew/R4fanatic

Welcome Andrew.
Now I can retire as your "research assistant"?? :laughing::drunk:
You will find many on here with greater experience than myself.
Learn to ask "silly" questions, they are important.:doh:
Best regards
Tom

Thanks all for the comments. I'm loving the van. Eagerly awaiting a parts delivery from Der Fransoze to fix up a few bits. Will post any adventures!

Your van reminds me of my late Father's one, (not very clearly) shown on my avatar. One of my many memories of it was the unusual starting noise, as it was a 6 volt electrical system. I also remember how soft the suspension was!

Back