Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Hello from Austria

andythecandy

Hello everybody,

my name is Andy, I am from Vienna, Austria. I was just surfing aroun d and found this forum. Very nice indeed!

I came to the R4 via the love of my life: the R16! I have this baby from 1966 since three years now, and it gives me a lot of pleasure. Well, actually I had two of them, a R16 TX of 1976 should have been used as an everyday car, but then it turned out that it would be too much afford to keep it in a good shape using it like this. So I sold it to a good friend of mine (who promised me to treat it well), and looked around for another everyday car. I fell in love with the R4, the little brother of the R16. I´m fond of the usable space, the nice seats, the economy and the nice looks from people around.

Finally I found my first R4: "Ferdinand" is a red 1987 TL from the first owner. It´s a rare R112C with the 956cc engine. It looked really nice. I have it for some time, and it took us to Croatia last summer - 2000 Kilometers without any problems. Unfortunately, this car is made in Slowenia, and they seem to have the worst metal used on all the R4s in the wordl. My mechanic did some welding last year, but the condition didn´t last. Now it won´t pass MOT - corrosion at the "usual suspects", rear suspension mounts, floor pan and inner wings. So, I will keep it untill MOT is valid, then it shall be sold to an enthusiast who will restore it. Otherwise a storage location had been offered to me, and a guy who is willing to teach me welding. But, at least, it won´t be scrapped.

So, looking for a substitue, I found "Fridolin". This is an "ordenary" R1123 TL from 1980, and it isn´t really nice looking. The dark blue paint is faded, it needs all rubber things around the doors and windows, and also the doors themselves are not so fine, as well as the slide windows and the seat covers. BUT: it´s totally OK at the basement (NO rust!!!), the engine is top, the brakes are new as well as the ball joints. And it´s one of the nice chrome models. As told before, there is some work to do, but work in a form I can handle.

I will take some photos of my two (or better: three :wink: ) babies and will send them. If you like, take a look at my R16-site (http://www.r16.info). It´s in German and English, and an R4-section shall be added as well this year. If you like, leave a message in my guestbook.

Keep on the good work!

Regards, Andy

Welcome to the forum Andy. I like your R16 site a lot. It's unusual for owners' web pages to have so much insight - it's more normal (for me) to be too familiar with the sugbjects I write about and to not realise what might interest someone else.

The Renault 4 (and 16) being mid engined. I like that. I've already been having great fun out of Renault's success in Formula 1 (it's the lineage etc), and it's wonderful to be able to wind up hot hatch drivers with talk of double wishbone front suspension.

You've done well to find a R4 with a rust free chassis. I'd love to see a photo.

:clementi:

Back