Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Hello from Spain

Gali

Hi everybody!

I've just arrive to this site and I'm really happy to join with people with the same hobby: drive and dress our 4L.

Kind regards!

J.Galilea

Welcome :D

I think you might be the first on the forum from Spain (apart from Mike who moved to Spain so doesn't count :smile:). Were Renault 4s built in Spain or was it just Portugal? I have a car that was imported from the UK from Spain and it's different in many ways from the French cars.

Do join in with the forum. We'll try to help with any problems you have with your car, otherwise do post some photos and join in with the chat.

Hi!

I think Mike was spanish! ;-)

As you know, Renault was founded in the mids '50 in the center of Castilla. Was named as FASA and implanted in Valladolid. My 4L is made in this factory just at the end of it's production life, arround 1989. Portugal ones are similar to the spanish units, wich as you know too, are quite differents to the french 4's.

The main reason I have one of them, is it's fantastic simplictiy and smart mechanicals. I test modern cars everyday and the best concept of movility is the 4L, in every way.

Furthermore, a Super 4L '72 was our family car during years. It was a fantastic car to my father's work as lorries coachbuilder and to move the family too. I learn to drive with it... typical ;-DDDDDD

I sent you some photos asap.

Nice to meet you!
Gali

Gali, could you please send us some photos of your '89's interior? I noticed that they have some differences from the French built ones, mainly the seats.
The '70s FASA built R4s were coded R1125 and had a lot of minor differences, too, so we are waiting for your photos to make things clear!
Welcome and greetings from Greece.

Hi there,
indeed there are a lot of minor differences between the R1123/R1126 and the R1125, in fact to many to list them here. In case anyone might be interested, I compiled a list of what I know, plus photos of my own R1125, on my website www.allez-y.info under 'FASA R1125'.
Prior to 1968, the R4 produced in Valladolid, Spain were R1123 (although a bit different from the french R1123). From 1968 until 1978 or thereabout the R1125 were produced (R1125, R1125S and R1125TL). After that, the R4 produced in Valladolid were R1128, rather similar to the french ones but again with a number of differences. For instance, the GTL wasn't built there (according to the spanish brochures), but only the TL, with 1100cc engine, small black striping where the aluminium 'baguettes' used to be, exhaust pipe ending before the rear wheel, chrome bumpers etc.
Best regards
Hans

Last edited:
Hi Hanz, I love your website - spent a lot of time looking through and will have to go back again.

The earlier Spanish cars are even odder than the later cars. Later cars (after 1983) seem similar to the French cars, just still with some parts that would have been fitted to earlier cars - the post '83 cars still have the cut out in the chassis above the rear suspension mounting and the metal parcel shelf that the French cars lost in 1973.

It's as if the Spanish had all their own tooling to make the cars, but didn't update the tooling so much as the French. And when they did update they sometimes did it in their own way. Looks like they were doing their own thing even more before 1983.

I enjoyed your website! I have never before seen a R4 with armrests!

Yes R4s were built at FASA (Fabrica de Automoviles S. A.) in Valladolid. One day in the near future, I will get round to posting some photos of mine which is a 1990 Clan.

Still here1

Helloooooooooooooooooo!!!! I'm still here!!!!!! Gali, I am English (soy inglis) Hello Malcolm, long time no Habla!

Yo tambien soy inglés, y paso aqui de vez en cuando. Si no sabes unas palabras especificas en inglés, ¡pues escribelas en castellano, y las traduciré! Un Saludo.

I am English as well, and pass throught the site from time to time, If you don't knowe a word in English, write it in Spanish, and I will translate it!!

Back