Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Hello

robmajorca

Enthusiast
Just found this site and i have to say that i am truly amazed at just how friendly, warm and enjoyable it all is.
Im currently looking around for a cheap (very cheap) little "classic" to work on over the winter months here. Im now going to prioritise and concentrate my search to a Renault 4. If i can find one im certain that i would recieve all the help, support and encouragement i could possibly want on here.
Great stuff! :D
PS: Ive got good memories of my Uncles green Ren 4 back in the early 70s. Ive read that they are a bit sluggish but i remember a buzzy, nippy car which could go on for miles at motorway speeds fully loaded......maybe my memory aint what it used to be!!

Mallorca? - got a spare room?

The Renault 4s go fast enough. I like to think they fit somewhere between 2CVs and normal cars. They start off really well, then take a bit of time to get to the speed limit, but they do get there in the end. (Unless you have hills).

Go for the 4. I only run them because they are cheap and characterful and I don't do 1000 mile journeys too often. But you'd have to drive around your island a few times to go that far.

Anyway, I've got a welder so I'd make the perfect flatmate.... Also welcome to the forum. If you need any friendly advice (or flatmates - have I mentioned that?) then ask away.

Welcome to the forum

:D Hi Robmajorca
You're right, this is a very friendly website. I'd like to thank the incredibly clever and artistic chap who designed it. They put up with me and I've only got a Maestro campervan. But I'd like to have an R4 and I'm waiting for Clementine to let go of Ermintrude. Are there many R4s in Mallorca? I'm quite happy to come over for a week or two around next May and help you look. I'd bring Frederick as he seems to have some good tips. Have you ordered your ECU and air sensor yet......

Hellooooo!
Well i knew there was a friendly bunch here but i did not expect to recieve a PM from an enthusiast in Argentina!!!!!!!!! I'll have to brush up on my Spansh wont i :D
Er, well a lodger...........hmm you could help pay the bills i suppose and the old abode is only 500m from the beach....................... :cool:
The problem here will be finding one, oh ive seen quite a few, most battle scarred, hand painted etc but i think i will have to search a while yet but im now determined to get one. I run a modern car which will be kept and the Ren will be used in the summer season to buzz about in.
Im becoming more enthusiastic by the hour, ive visited many sites for many "Classics" but this one really is head and shoulders above all of them. The fun factor really shines through here and thats exactly what i am looking for in ownership, reckon ive found what ive been looking for!
Many Thanks
Rob

Hello robmallorca,

I hope you are handy at welding, or else can find a R4 with a good chassis.

Renault 4s areN'T just for Christmas, they're for life

Dogs aren't just for Christmas, they make wonderful sandwiches right into the new year

Anyway, what does your signature mean? What's the UK like to live in

Hello Richard.
I dont think that chassis rust will be such a big issue here, thats not to say that cars dont rust, they do but not to the same degree of cars in the UK...........unless they have been very badly neglected!
Ive been looking around in the last few days and have seen one advertised for €900 which isnt such a bad price, i shall wait a while before i make contact to view ( i dont think it will have too many enquiries here) which will, hopefully, get the price down a bit.
In case you are wondering why my posts are put up at such an ungodly hour, its not because im an insomniac, its just that i work nights through the summer season!
Regards
Rob

Hola Rob, I'm moving to the mainland (Velez Malaga) in February. I'm taking my little lefthand drive R4 with me. I'm going to tow it on a fixed dolly behind a transit van (not got the van yet; circa 1991/2 lwb semi hi top around £3/400 anyone?!) I'm always out there (just got back) and have seen loads of R4s so you should have no trouble getting one even if you have to ferry one over from the mainland! You'll not have any rust problems to deal with either! I'll let you know if I spot one but second hand prices are higher over there than here; don't know whether the same applies to classics. You want to be looking for a GTL.

Malcolm, we'll have a spare apartment so you can come over anytime you wish (only an hour and a half from the Sierra Nevadas!)

Hasta luego!

Hello Mike,
Yep, second hand prices are higher here than in the UK. I know there are loads on the mainland, they were a VERY popular car over here, as the Renault marque still is. I know i will find one here eventually, just goot be patient!
Good to know that i will have plenty of help and advice when i need it!
Many Thanks
Rob

Back