Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

hello

pepe du sud

Hello. my name is Philippe, Thanks for accepting me in the forum.
I am French from Marseille but have been living in Scotland for 25 years.
I own a citroen c5 estate exclusive 12YO. and a Suzuki sj 413 (27yo) fitted with a blitz kit in 2001.
voila. I am thinking of getting a 4L now from a friend in France. I have join this fab site to get some info on how I can take it to the UK.

Hi Phillippe

Welcome to the world of the R4.

If importing from the EU, then everything is fairly straightforward. You need to do the following, copied from the government website, the words within the brackets are my own.

1. How to import a vehicle

You must complete certain steps as soon as you bring a vehicle into the UK permanently.

You can pay an importer or shipping company to do them for you.

1. Tell HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) within 14 days that the vehicle has arrived in the UK. (this is called a NOVA declaration and can be done online. You will need to open an online account with HMRC to do it, but that is fairly straightforward. You can be fined if you let it drift beyond the 14 days. If you buy a car already imported make sure that the owner has already done this.)

2. Pay VAT and duty if HMRC tells you to. (They will respond and advise, usually immediately, online. It is unlikely that VAT or duty will be payable with a car of the sort of age that an R4 will be)

3. Get vehicle approval to show your vehicle meets safety and environmental standards. (this involves getting together the registration documents from the country of origin of the car being imported)

4. Register and tax the vehicle with DVLA - they’ll give you a registration number so you can get number plates made up. (You will need to ask for an application pack....not sure that it is available online, send off the forms, with the application fee. DVLA will process your application. They may ask you to take it to a regional centre for inspection, but that just involves someone looking at it and recording the VIN number etc.
Make sure you read the requirements for supporting information carefully. DVLA are very pedantic, and will send it all back if in their view, you don't get it right. Alas there are no longer local offices, so all applications are direct to Swansea. A degree of patience may be required.

Good luck.

Bryan

Bonsoir Phillippe,

Welcome! I'm not too far away, just outside Linlithgow. I hope to get my R4 back on the road next summer - I actually bought it off a man in Bridge of Weir, not far from you.

Gordon

Hi Phillippe

Welcome to the world of the R4.

If importing from the EU, then everything is fairly straightforward. You need to do the following, copied from the government website, the words within the brackets are my own.

1. How to import a vehicle

You must complete certain steps as soon as you bring a vehicle into the UK permanently.

You can pay an importer or shipping company to do them for you.

1. Tell HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) within 14 days that the vehicle has arrived in the UK. (this is called a NOVA declaration and can be done online. You will need to open an online account with HMRC to do it, but that is fairly straightforward. You can be fined if you let it drift beyond the 14 days. If you buy a car already imported make sure that the owner has already done this.)

2. Pay VAT and duty if HMRC tells you to. (They will respond and advise, usually immediately, online. It is unlikely that VAT or duty will be payable with a car of the sort of age that an R4 will be)

3. Get vehicle approval to show your vehicle meets safety and environmental standards. (this involves getting together the registration documents from the country of origin of the car being imported)

4. Register and tax the vehicle with DVLA - they’ll give you a registration number so you can get number plates made up. (You will need to ask for an application pack....not sure that it is available online, send off the forms, with the application fee. DVLA will process your application. They may ask you to take it to a regional centre for inspection, but that just involves someone looking at it and recording the VIN number etc.
Make sure you read the requirements for supporting information carefully. DVLA are very pedantic, and will send it all back if in their view, you don't get it right. Alas there are no longer local offices, so all applications are direct to Swansea. A degree of patience may be required.

Good luck.

Bryan
Hi Bryan. Thanks very much for all that info.

Bonsoir Gordon.

Hopefully it should be with me during spring. looking forward to it. keep in touch

Actually i was going to drive her back from France. it seems a bit of a nightmare to be able to insure it with French plates to come here.

Back