Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Help where's reverse gear?!!

mymahoganybay

Complete R4 amateur
Please assist. I have inherited a 1988 R4 van (typical french farmers car) when buying my house here which drove beautifully forward into the barn but I cannot find the reverse gear to get it out!! Not having any experience of these wonderful little cars, and short of flagging down another french driver in one to try and explain the problem (my french is limited so could get into difficulties asking about his gear stick) I thought I might ask the experts. The only other ones I have seen have traditional gear sticks not the dashboard variety. Neutral appears to be about half way in and one forward gear is completely in and another forward gear completely out (not sure which one is which) but no sign of a reverse no matter where I try! All advice welcome. I am five miles from nearest town and temporarily stranded.

Hi, you will soon get used to the gears. You'll find they are much easier than the floor mounted ones.

1st 3rd

Neutral

2nd 4th Reverse

So to get into reverse from neutral tilt the gear lever as far as possible over to the right and pull back.

I've occasionally found with our R4's that if it doesn't go into reverse straight off I have to lift off the clutch pedal push it down again then try engaging reverse again.

With the LHD cars the reverse position on the gear lever does seem to be well over to the right.

You could always engage neutral - push the van out of the barn - then just travel forwards all the time ;)

Chris

You guys are marvellous. Thank you. Van now out of barn in driveway and we're off to town!! Now I need to find out if it's petrol or diesel...............
Juliet

Definitely petrol!

Thanks Mike. Took van to local garage with attendant who obviously considered me mad english woman and automatically put petrol in. Van goes really well. Now mastered the gears and we pootle along at a fair rate! Can see why you all love these cars. Leans a bit on cornering on these french roads but have to say unlikely to try any motorway driving! Thanks also to everyone else for their help. Juliet

I once had another car with a couple of hundred horsepower, but the Renault with it's 34 horses was actually quicker into work down the back lanes than the fast car. (I timed it).

Motorways aren't so bad when you get used to them in the Renault. You can't drive on autopilot like you would in a more modern car, but I find the R4 quite comfy on a long trip at speed. Just a little noisy.

Back