Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Hi From Sussex and Also Spain nr Granada

funky D

Enthusiast
Hi Guys and Girls
I am sure this is a bad idea joining this forum and I should just put my boring hat back on and be a grey clone driving a newish car .
Brought a tiny holiday home in Spain last yr and decided we should buy a car to have for when we out there , being a petrol head for many yrs and always wanting / having something different from the masses ( custom cars , modified cars and silly little fun cars ) Last recent one a Copen and never really being able to fully let it go . I think now may be a time again to have a car that would work perfectly for what we want in Spain ?
I am on here because i want to talk to you guys about Renault 4 s and being a stalker on this site for a while there is a guy called " Paul Cunningham " who has a workshop in Worthing i believe on here who knows lots about Renault 4 s so would be great to chat to him ?

I am thinking about a Renault 4 in LHD ideally still in Spain on spanish plates . But it could also be fun to drive one down to Spain if one turned up in England ?

Now to start reading even more posts and to find out what I need to look out for and how reliable they are if you treat them with care etc and what I will get for what money .

Thanks for reading and letting me join this group
Funky D

Hi Guys and Girls
I am sure this is a bad idea joining this forum and I should just put my boring hat back on and be a grey clone driving a newish car .
Brought a tiny holiday home in Spain last yr and decided we should buy a car to have for when we out there , being a petrol head for many yrs and always wanting / having something different from the masses ( custom cars , modified cars and silly little fun cars ) Last recent one a Copen and never really being able to fully let it go . I think now may be a time again to have a car that would work perfectly for what we want in Spain ?
I am on here because i want to talk to you guys about Renault 4 s and being a stalker on this site for a while there is a guy called " Paul Cunningham " who has a workshop in Worthing i believe on here who knows lots about Renault 4 s so would be great to chat to him ?

I am thinking about a Renault 4 in LHD ideally still in Spain on spanish plates . But it could also be fun to drive one down to Spain if one turned up in England ?

Now to start reading even more posts and to find out what I need to look out for and how reliable they are if you treat them with care etc and what I will get for what money .

Thanks for reading and letting me join this group
Funky D
Having recently sold my home in Spain and having owned classic cars in Spain I would advise you to buy your car in Spain.There are many good cars in Spain available to buy at better prices than UK.If you seek out a good one it will be rust free and already on Spanish plates or if you are lucky historic plates.It will save you a lot of greif with registration.If you find one on historic plates you need less ITV inspections cheaper insurance and less Road tax.
There is a R4 and 6 club on Spain and also some good sites to find classic cars.It is better to pay a good price for a good car and make sure you do the transfer properly.If you have a fiscal rep they will do this for you for a small fee.

Funky D
Welcome. ggcton has given you some very sound advice. Be advised to follow it as best you can.

ggcton thank you so much for such a great reply , I was always thinking that a Spanish car still in Spain would be a better option , but you have now just fully confirmed that for me and your advice about trying to find an historic registered one and that there are Renault 4 clubs out there only makes things better for me .
I am in no rush and want to find the best on I can afford as I only want to do this once and have the fun of driving it rather than working on it ( been there done that ) .

So my next step will be to find out how I know if it on historic plates or not or how there rules work out there , is it on a certain yr before that it historic or something else and then hunt down the Spanish classic car sites etc . I do not have a fiscal rep at the moment but would definitely go this route and even though Im near Granada I wont mind traveling to other parts of Spain find the right one for me .

Thank you again for posting your reply , i really appreciate it

ggcton thank you so much for such a great reply , I was always thinking that a Spanish car still in Spain would be a better option , but you have now just fully confirmed that for me and your advice about trying to find an historic registered one and that there are Renault 4 clubs out there only makes things better for me .
I am in no rush and want to find the best on I can afford as I only want to do this once and have the fun of driving it rather than working on it ( been there done that ) .

So my next step will be to find out how I know if it on historic plates or not or how there rules work out there , is it on a certain yr before that it historic or something else and then hunt down the Spanish classic car sites etc . I do not have a fiscal rep at the moment but would definitely go this route and even though Im near Granada I wont mind traveling to other parts of Spain find the right one for me .

Thank you again for posting your reply , i really appreciate it

https://www.milanuncios.com/venta-de-coches-clasicos/renault.htm

http://club4567.mforos.com/

http://www.ventacochesclasicos.es/index.php

Just a few places to start watch out for cars debaja similar to sorned or out of circulation they cannot all be returned to the road unlike dabaja temporal

I lived on Andalucia/Las Alpujarra for some time and R4s were around, could be picked up at reasonable cost. SO, buy one down there much easier way to go, for sure.

Good choice Funky D, to get your hands on the most reliable and stubborn car there is the R4.
Though many european produced R4's have commonly interchangeable parts, the Spanish produced R4's by FASA do have different parts that differ e.g. main brake cylinder etc.
If you want more background on Spanish produced FASA the berlinas and furgonetas checkout this website by a real Spanish R4 fan and expert.

Succes on purchasing and enjoy driving and experiencing the one and only R4.
Cheers, Joop

Welcome to the forum. When the time comes, please remember we love photos on here.

Using the services of a fiscal advisor is sound advice.
However, my suggestion would be to use the f/a as a safety net.
Have a go yourself. Application forms, transfer documents etc, etc.
Mildly intimidating to begin with, and like everything in life, getting started is often the biggest hurdle.
With the information available on the 'net, coupled with guidance from British neighbours already been "through the hoop", you will make progress. Thing don't happen in southern Europe at the pace you may be accustomed to, just chill-out.
Before you know it, that "light at the end of the tunnel" blossoms into brilliant sunshine. The feeling of satisfaction is sensational.
In a few months time, down at your favourite watering-hole, a voice calls out from the crowd .....
Hay Funky, how did you get-on registering that quirky little French estate car ??
You calmly turn your head and smugly reply .....

Piece of cake mate, A PIECE OF CAKE !

N.

Oh look I've been mentioned again
Would definitely recommend finding a trusted Spanish source
Although Neil on here keeps finding nice ones in Portugal
If you drive it back to Sussex at any point you are more than welcome to visit for a chat

Back