Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Homegrown Garage Green One -75

Bought new toy to garage.
A Drester wash clam. Old high quality petroleum based parts washer. I think a normal sized 4-cylinder block can be washed automatically inside there is a manual brush that can be used as well.
Very handy according to previous owner. Asked how he clean the washer? He looked like a question mark. Never done it he said. So first ting at garage I dismantle an cleanup. Half bucket with old sediment, then I take last slush with wood dust.
Electric looks a bit scary, two 240V plugs going to the same pump engine. One directly the other through a timer. The scary stuff is if timer is activated there is 240V going out of plug not used. Needs to be sorted before use in my garage just luck no one get hurt.

8B9D0062-D9DE-4D9A-8F03-F8055C23706D.jpeg 0A80B56B-5760-4815-AC82-D17389EED8D7.jpeg 9972F033-F408-4E20-A521-C7BFEAFB3AFF.jpeg

Still taking it easy.
Bought same more machines and tools from garage that needs to be cleared.
Go there for buying bench grinder with sand belt option. Ending up buy a valve grinder Rotax, valve seat tools, a nice wise fore my welding table, SKF tools for treading, insex skrew drivers mm and inch total 14 pieces, and lots of other handtools.
Very happy with what I purchased. Everything is old high quality tools. Some old Hazet tools also find it’s way home.
Inspired from my findings I decided to bring home my welding bench that I have had stored at fathers farmhouse. Have been a book press earlier in life and some twenty years ago a made a welding table for our firm.
Now I have time to tidy it up to my garage standards. Cut away unnecessary beams (old purpose) leaving a tough table with a 20mm steel surface. One hour with wire wheels and grinding I gave it some linen oil.
Time to mount the wise. I could use one existing hole an drilled and tapped two for M12 bolts. My old wise is big and strong but jaws are not 100% straight. The new oldone my is after service very nice.
Test mount some other sheet metal tools at the bench as well.
Inspired from youtube I made sheet metal hammer from a carpentry hammer. Lightened and refaced.
Guide pin for seat valve grinder was bent so have to spend probably one hour or two straightening it in my lathe, from the tip in 20mm increments. Dial gauge and pushing controlled with the lathe. Now its spot on.
Keep doing light work some more days.

B8FC03FF-3D7D-4E7A-B70B-132CF3086393.jpeg 7914DB07-B2B5-45FF-8370-160265FA752B.jpeg F78445C1-A155-4C9A-983B-13AADE2552F3.jpeg 54A5D578-44C5-4B51-A61A-F8005C784FBD.jpeg 066DB86B-BF22-45CC-9D00-0C157CB10E0C.jpeg

Almost standstill here.
We have had 2-5* C last week so all snow melted away.
Had problem with low compression values on the engine I put together. So car have been put away. Good wheather made me inspired, some snaps in the carb and she started directly. After getting warmed up she only going on three cylinders. On rpm engine sounds great but second cylinder miss on tickower. Having plenty of spark but no bang. Compression test showed 4 so something is wrong. Head gasket, valves or rings, all alternatives can be realistic.
Head gasket I think have nothing to do with this but can not be roled out before inspection. Valves can certainly be an option cos I made a lot of freehand machining on both valves and seat area. Same with the rings, all cylinders and pistons were sized. Pistonrings were severe stuck in the pistons. Can have missed some residues in the piston ring growes, hense broken a ring.
Have to open up and examine later this year. Otherwise engine sounds great.
Want it to be a daily driver 2023. Have to change front windscreen before last MOT (50-year old cars gets permanent MOT after passing). Screen I broken and a stone was on the hood so sadly someone throw a rock on her. Anyhow think all get sorted before summer.
Me and my friend Mats have a slow car competition, acceleration and top speed. 1975 R4 845cc vs 1972 VW T2 pickup 1600cc. Two year ago I was quickest, If all my tweaks work I get bigger win but now he start to build new engine (more cubic, cam and carb). See what happens, hopefully I'm still faster than him otherwise I guess I've to go the turbo route.

CB143E6E-3A5B-446C-9B30-975E081500C2.jpeg

Back