Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

hot-hot-HOT!

reidalpine

Enthusiast
Hi gang-after having had in the high 20C's end even up in the 30C's for ages I'm getting tempted
to look into an A/C-unit for Roffen the F4.Has anyone any experience with mounting one in a R4?
-Am I totally wrong or did an A/C come as optional extra in Japanese-sold R4's ? -Think I've seen
units covering the width of underside of the dash...
Could some Peltier-elements do the trick or will they use to much current or will they be just plain
too uneffective? Any thoughts ? -Reid.

Last edited:
Last few days, as temps are going up, thinking about AC extremely

Just wondering how would this small engine (and lack of horse power) manage to drive AC. Would not like to be dead (cold) mule on the road. :D

Now treat

Aftermarket AC in R4 from Japan (put in by local dealer) - pictures are from forum member who went to Japan to live and bought R4 with AC already in - forgot his nickname - sorry
R4 - klima unutrašnjost.jpg
R4 klima.jpg
R4 - klima unutrašnjost2.jpg
R4 - klima kompresor.jpg

Aftermarket AC (private instalation) - pictures are from Gentry lane dealership http://www.gentrylane.com/s/
90_4-09.jpg
90_4-10.jpg
90_4-12.jpg
90_4-16.jpg

A friend of mine bought an R4 some years ago, with a universal A/C fitted. I don't have photos of the installation, the evaporator occupies the space over the passenger's parcel shelf and air is directed by Mini dashboard vents located at the edges of the dashboard (it's the post-83 one).
Petak's engine bay photos show nice solutions for finding a place to fit the compressor and keep the umbrella gearshift lever, on my friend's car it was not possible as the compressor had been mounted in front of the engine over the gearbox (with the pulley facing towards the back) and so they had to use an R5 floor mounted gearshift lever.

My biggest worries about AC is how much will take off power from already lowpowered R4 engine.

Will it be possible to drive it normally.
Even now at some steep hills car is struggling to get to the top.

The aformentioned car has a 1400 R5 TX engine, with lots of torque. There is no noticeable power loss, as it's already over-powered.
With the standard 1108cc, I think it would be another story...

1400 engine is totally different story.

1108 will be dead when you start AC

Back