Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

How set the Zenith 32 IF?

Pavel

Enthusiast
Hi, have you any idea, how to set the accelerator pump on Zenith 32 IF? How find the correct nut position there in the picture? I can´t find any Zenith 32 IF specification in my manuals. Many thanks Pavel

• 03.jpg
    03.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 2,531
I have some information for the Zenith 32IF 7 fitted to some Renault 5s (I don't know if that is the same carburettor as yours). The accelerator pump stroke (total movement of the accelerator pump) should be 22.9mm.

If they give the dimension my guess is the measurement is actual movement of the accelerator pump, and the nut would be adjusted until you measure that movement. Though there was no information about how to set the stroke in the manual.

The dimension 22.9 mm

Hello Malcolm, did you mean the stroke, as I marked there in the picture? Pavel

• 05.jpg
    05.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 2,227
For the R4 the stroke is 22mm and is measured as follows: Remove the plug under the acceleration pump piston (visible in the photo) and measure the depth from the face that this plug screws to the bottom of the piston (in the hole). This should be 22mm with the choke fully open and the throttle fully closed, of course). If not, turning the nut raises or lowers the piston.

22 mm measure

Hi Angel, thank you very much for the explanation. Did I take it right? See the picture please. Pavel :confused: PS: the 22 mm measure comes up just to close the flap valve in the carburettor cover, may be it should be a little bit less, so as to close the valve properly. An other question: There is no mixture screw in the Zenith 32 IF?

• 06.jpg
    06.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 2,256
YES there is a mixture screw - it is located in a small recess where the water feed (from the water pump) enters the manifold of the carb (in the manifold itself.)

The mixture screw

YES there is a mixture screw - it is located in a small recess where the water feed (from the water pump) enters the manifold of the carb (in the manifold itself.)

No, I can´t find the mixture screw. Is it on this side? :eek:

• 32IF.jpg
    32IF.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 2,197
Hello Pavel if you haven't found it yet, here is the mixture screw.

• 100_2846.jpg
    100_2846.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 2,240
Hello Pavel if you haven't found it yet, here is the mixture screw.

Hi Angel, thank you very much. I returned from mountains today and I´m going to hammer to my R4 tomorrow. Do you know the idling speed and the mixture screw correction rated for 32IF?

Idle speed is 625-675 rpm (may run smoother at 700-750 rpm if engine is a bit tired, though).
There is not a standard setting of the idle mixture screw, try 2 turns out from screwed in, then from this try to achieve the smoothest idle. Better still if you have access to an exhaust gas analyzer, set it to 1,0-1,5 % CO.

Hi Angel, I appreciate your help very much. If you come someday in Prague, you have as many beer from me as you can drink up :) Pavel

Hi Angel, so I tryied to set it today. I made out of a rivet this dipstick. It is a little bit longer, than the open valve. When I set the dimension 22 mm, the lid is just closed, as shown in the picture. Is it so right? Pavel :confused:

• 01.jpg
    01.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 402
  • 02.jpg
    02.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 395
The circular flap according to the manual is being set as follows:

With the choke fully closed (i.e. as when starting from cold), there must be a gap of 0,4-0,6mm between the acceleration pump rod and the flap tab. To adjust it, bend the tab.

Hi Angel, so I tryied to set it today. I made out of a rivet this dipstick. It is a little bit longer, than the open valve. When I set the dimension 22 mm, the lid is just closed, as shown in the picture. Is it so right? Pavel :confused:

hello did end upfinding the correct adjustments Pavel? Im doing a comple engine rebuild and I brought that carb to fit.
And I just finish to rebuild the carb, after a big clean up,I replaced the piston, the misture screw and joints.
But using those mesures looks that something is wrong beacuse the flap is very open.
can you help?

this is my carb version
carb.jpg

You have to carefully bend the tab that rests against the accelerator pump rod in order to achieve the correct setting.
It has been almost ten years since we discussed this, but fortunately the method of setting remains the same :laughing: .

You have to carefully bend the tab that rests against the accelerator pump rod in order to achieve the correct setting.
It has been almost ten years since we discussed this, but fortunately the method of setting remains the same :laughing: .

Oh god.
Ok so lets see if understood this right.
First I want to explain you something, Im Portuguese so my english is pour and when it comes to technical vucabulary worst, so please be patient with me.
ok now lets see if i undesrtood this right.

to measure the 22 mm I must set the carb like this first right?

Choke fully open
Throttle fully closed
and the measure 22 mm like Pavel did right?

• choke fully open.jpg
    choke fully open.jpg
    256.2 KB · Views: 5
  • throttle fully closed (2).jpg
    throttle fully closed (2).jpg
    151.2 KB · Views: 5
Sorry for posting again but I dont know how to attach pictures and text in the midle..

ok now I have some questions where do I bend number 1 or number 2 ?

• tab.jpg
    tab.jpg
    180.6 KB · Views: 10
now I have yet another question
so after I bend the tab the valve (rubber) must be closed ? I mean in contact with the carb wall?
and what about the axel ? the tab should be in contact with the axel?
if not what gap it has to have? I asking for both situations I refered

if you have some picks that may help please post them here
thank you in advance
and dont be mad with me Im not a mechanic

Yes you are right about the 22mm measurement.
For the flap valve: With the choke fully closed (like staring from cold), valve (no.2 on your picture) must be closed, and you should bend tab 1 upwards, so that there is a gap of 0,4-0,6mm between it and the rod underneath.

Back