Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

How to set timing on a GTL

mojobaby

Enthusiast
I made a short video on setting the timing on a GTL and would appreciate all of your comments.

it's the way that I was taught many years ago. I've never used a strobe light or any other method.

of course, road testing afterwards is also advisable

Enjoy! Hope it helps some people.

Fantastic movie mojobaby....that same method i used when was setting timing for the first time.

You explained nicely some very often mistakes that people came by when trying to set timing (180°)

I would just add.
Put oil drop inside distributor shaft once a year, and you can grease (just little bit) shaft from the outside where loobs are, to prevent grinding shaft by points.
Tips that i got from guy who is tuning up old engines for 40 years or so, and clear to me how R4 should be set up (and sound) when is tuned up as it should be

Last edited:
Really good to have it explained-this was JUST like I learnt it "all those years ago" when I was training to be a mechanic! Only one SMALL thing; I was taught not to rotate the engine the "wrong" way and always to carry on for another 2 cycles to come up towards the timing point again. Mind you, my memory might be playing tricks after 35+ years!

Thank you Petak and you made a very good point, I also add a few drops of oil to the felt pad and a smear of grease from time to time. It all helps, and I should have mentioned it.

Glad you enjoyed it Rhys, thank you

Thanks Andrew, I also learnt it "all those years ago" and before computers took over our lives. I have yet to find the distributer on my 1999 Peugeot, maybe it hasn't got one? But I don't even try to fix that car, I just take it to the garage.
Not sure about rotating the engine backwards, but it makes sense:)

Thanks Rolemin, hope you found it useful.:)

Hi
my r4 wasn't working the other day so i set the points and tested it and it sparked before it reached the lump . So could you tell me why it is doing that ,please . thanks very much

Back