Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Ignition barrel removal

Alan

Enthusiast
Hello everyone, I've been having a nightmare removing the ignition barrel. I've looked at other threads on this topic but my problem is worse.. So a few weeks ago the key got stuck, I was able to drive it by stalling in to turn the engine off. I have a new one here ready to get fitted. The old key broke is the process of trying to remove it, so I resorted to drilling the ignition. When doing this the steering wheel locked! I have no idea know what to do. I'm loosing my mind from. What I thought would have been a 10 minute job. Any help would be much appreciated
Alan

Alan i recall having to do the same on a 1100 Simca fitted with the same ignition steering lock, of course if you have the key or enough to turn in the lock it is a simple job. Still it is out now, well done for your perseverance.

It was a hellish job, four hours for what I thought was a striaght forward job. Setting the timing took me less time :dontknow:

It was a hellish job, four hours for what I thought was a striaght forward job. Setting the timing took me less time :dontknow:
Hi Alan, could you lend me some advice here? I'm trying to remove the ignition cylinder in my '91 GTL but I'm unable to turn the switch to the proper position for a normal extraction; the tip broke off inside the cylinder and lodged itself in place, and since it didn't seem to cause any trouble I went about a year like that, until last Tuesday when it became clear that it got loose inside the cylinder and was preventing the key from going in. I managed to dislodge it with some WD40 and thick wire, and even managed to get the key in and turn it on (almost started the engine by accident). Problem is, after that it no longer made electrical contact, and the slot is stuck in place like I mentioned. People in my local 4L community are telling me I'll have to drill to eventually get it loose, which is what you seem to have done. Any tips you can give me? I can tell it wasn't an easy process, but you seem to have been successful in the end :) Any help would be greatly appreciated! The replacement cylinder is on its way so I have no problem forcing the old switch out, my only concern is that I don't damage the metal casing.

Emanuel, from Portugal

Well, never mind my previous post, I was able to remove the barrel without drilling! I happened to notice that the slot was stuck in G position and I was looking for the release pin in the wrong place. I did the normal procedure and it slid right out.

Back