Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Jetting for K&N bolt-on air filter?

roodini

Enthusiast
A replacement engine for my GTL's rather poorly 1.1 has turned out to be a 1.4 unit:D , type 847 from an R5 automatic it's got all the anciliaries including a reconditioned weber 32 DIR carb, the only item missing is the air filter.
I've decided to fit a K&N bolt-on as a replacement, does anyone know if it will need re-jetting, as almost every motorcycle i've ever owned that's had after market filters fitted, has to some degree required re-jetting!
Also, any ideas as to what the brake horse power of these engines is, as i've read various quotes ranging from 53 to 65.:confused:

Rudi.

Rudi, it may run a little weaker due to the properties of the filter material. The only way to find out is by bolting it all together and see how it performs. You may need to increase the main jet size by a couple of increments, but nothing drastic. The only sure fire way to get it perfect is by saving your pennies and get it put on a rolling road. Have you managed to fit the engine yet?

Steve

Steve, the engine is sitting under a tarpaulin waiting for a let up in the weather, as they say up here "it's bin siling down!", and there doesn't appear to be any let up in the next few hours/days/months etc.
As soon as there's a let up I intend to throw the engine in, and start the process of reconnecting all the bits and pieces, to enable the engine to (hopefully) cough and splutter back into life, after having been laid up for some eight years!
I'll let you know how it goes.

Rudi

Back