Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Just registered

Per

Hi all,
I live in Sweden and since a number of years I have a 1968 R4L with sun roof in my barn. It is (was) in good condition and I have just come around to try to put it back on the road again. I am a technical newbie and I hope to get some assistance when I get stuck from those of you who know what you are doing!
Looking forward to a long process!
Per

Welcome to the forum Per,

The 68 R4 sounds like a lovely project. It's one of my favourite years for the car, and the sunroofs are rare (at least in the UK). If your barn is nice and dry it shouldn't be too hard to put the car back on the road. How long has the car been stored?

I can't remember the year when Sweden changed over from right hand to left hand drive. Is the Renault old enough to be right hand drive?

:clementi:

1968 sunroof

Hi,
Thanks for the welcome!
Sweden changed from left hand to right hand traffic in 1966 (I think), but strangely enough we never used cars with RH mounted steering wheel. For very good climatic reasons the sun roofs are very sparse in Sweden too, although this summer we have had many days of sun.
The car hasn't been on the road in at least 5 years and in the years before that didn't move many miles annually. Right now it has around 100 000 kms on the meter.
Unfortunately my barn is moist and I am prepared to do quite a lot of welding on the body, even though it looks fine.
My first project is to go through all brakes and I think I would have good use of a workshop manual. Are there still any around?

/Per

I must engage brain before speaking!

I am sorry - I got so carried away by being so generously welcomed into this group I didn't even start to look around what was already being discussed. I now see that there are good suggestions about handbooks.
/Per

Re: 1968 sunroof

Per said:
My first project is to go through all brakes

Welcome aboard!

Just wondering with your rebuild though. I think it would be best to check the car thoroughly for rust and doing the body repairs first, reasons as follows.

a) The body may be beyond repair, especially if the chassis is badly rusted, but after seeing what Clementine can do it would seem anything can be repaired without dirtying the smallest amount of fur!

b) Brakes deteriorate over time, so in the time that the other repairs are carried out they may need to be done again to get the car back on the road. Saying that though, I'm not trying to be a prophet of doom in implying your car needs a lot of work :-)

Back