Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Kent Meeting 2017

Mrs renospeed

My other vehicle is a Moto Guzzi!
Hi All, have got my act together early this year and details for the meeting are as follows:

Date is Sunday 30th April 2017

We will be started a fairly short run at M20 services off Junction 8 departing at 11am.We will aim to get there at 10am to give everybody a chance for a quick chat and refreshment. There is not as much room here as the usual start point so we may need to be creative. I am sorting out the route and trying to finda stopping point somewhere en route. We are hoping to have a few guests from Belgium and the Netherlands, with the possibility of an article in 4L magazine, so positive thoughts for good weather please!

Venue is Hole Park Gardens near Tenterden in Kent

Entry from 11am, but I may do a basic run if the mood takes me/ people are interested. If so I will post details nearer the time.

There should be bluebells!

http://www.holepark.com/

See you then!

Becky and Derek

Last edited by a moderator:
Becky & Derek

My attempt to get a similar number of cars to this years Aylesford Friars Classic Car event was an abject failure. However this year's get-together at the railway was good. It's just such a shame that there is such apathy amongst the owners.

We're not apethetic! Though the bank holiday does fall very early and it might be too cold for the Rodeo. Perhaps I will finish it for the following year. :whistle:

Looking forward to seeing everyone.

Good news . i enjoy the same people who chat but there is a rather clicky group who tend to not bother with anyone .:hug: maybe a group hug on the day might help? xx

It's been a while since I've been on here, coz I've been and still am R4less, but hope to remedy that in the near future. The Kent event is always very friendly, nobody gets ignored, and there is always a reasonable turn out of cars, considering they are quite rare in this country. I hope to catch up with you all next year in a 4.

It's been a while since I've been on here, coz I've been and still am R4less, but hope to remedy that in the near future. The Kent event is always very friendly, nobody gets ignored, and there is always a reasonable turn out of cars, considering they are quite rare in this country. I hope to catch up with you all next year in a 4.

Eighteen cars including a couple of 2CVs this year. Malcolm, Only four R4s at the Aylesford event in spite of posting contact details on here.

Good song choice, perhaps we could all sing this at the start of the meet to help with bonding :D:Dx

Paul its not apathy at all, the two events can not be compaired.
Becky and Derek have been organising this event for years and its a big highlight of the R4 year.
There are local car events every weekend up and down the country, some good some not so. If I invited all R4 drivers and fans to one near me and anybody turned up I would class that as a result...

OK Stuart, lets agree to disagree. After years of 2CV ownership - I've owned five during the last 45yrs - I find the difference between the two 'clans' quite astonishing. It's like dragging reluctant owners through treacle. The Aylesford Classic Car event is one of the very best and, even though it is very local to me, attracts cars of all sorts of marques. There's also a busy autojumble and real ale tent. I enjoyed meeting the R4 cars and owners this year and you're right, there was no comparison between a busy classic car event with 150 old cars and eighteen R4s (and 2 2CVs) parked on the edge of a grass car park in the middle of nowhere.

BTW We shall be going to Thenay next year. The World 2CV Meeting in France we went to attracted 7,000 cars although the Spanish meeting two years later was much smaller. I imagine Thenay will be much quieter too.

I've been going to the R4 meeting for 10 years and it is great to see everyone once a year. (I missed the Brooklands one because I forgot the date but did wave from the aeroplane when I flew overhead).

Thanks Becky for organising it every year - the majority of us much appreciate your effort. Those that don't might prefer to discus it in another thread as it comes across as rude in this thread.

I've never made it down to the Kent Run as it always clashes with a show I'm working at (and sadly 2017 is much the same). But I'd love to get there as it always looks really great. One day...

But -

I think the comment about 'apathy' is rather unfair - there are relatively few R4 owners in the UK and we are spread across the country and whilst more are willing / able to get to a gathering of R4 owners to complain that more didn't go to a local classic show is unfair - The Kent event doesn't compare with a 'busy' classic car show attracting 150 cars. They are not the same, one is a gathering of like minded R4 enthusiasts, the other is just another small, regional classic car show.

For me, Kent is a 600 mile round trip and whilst I'd do it for the R4 meet I'm not bothering for a classic car show in a field I'm afraid.

Finally, the 2CV scene is much larger than the R4 scene. If you go to Thenay and spend the weekend comparing the two you'll probably come away disappointed. Enjoy it for what it is, not what it isn't.

Anyway, the Kent Meeting looks excellent and thanks for organising - just wish I could make it!

Good news. hope to meet you on the day BlueGreen, and remember to take with you the song sheet for our R4 song" I wanna hug" should go down a storm:hug:

hi BlueGreen, hope you have a safe trip, and we will have a go at the wanna hug song on the day , ?:hug: mike

Last edited:
I can't make the meeting but would recommend Wise Owl Cider. They are local to Maidstone(ish) and make very nice cider. Bought some at an event down there last year and can very high recommend it!

Hello everybody :) I really want to take part to this meeting but I'm new to this forum and have now R4 in England yet shall I book something or call anybody? Would somebody give a friend of mine and me a lift from Gillingham?
I can't wait to meet you all!

Back