Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Long time, no post but back in the fold.

paulandpat

Enthusiast
Not long got back from looking at our (the wife's really) soon to be acquisition.
Advertised on a local english speaking forum, a 1987 one 93 year old lady owner from new, 74 k km, R4 Savane.
Its always been garaged, bonnet covered with a blanket when it was put away, used once a week to go shopping in, probably never been over 80 kph in its life.
Its still got the plastic covering on the rear door panels, covers fitted soon after purchase on all the seats, and a look at the underside suggests that it was undersealed from new.
As the owner has now gone into a local 'maison de retraite' we have to wait for the person selling it one her behalf to sort out a new 'controle technique' - the last one had less than 18 months to run making it slightly more difficult to re register it in our names, once that's done we'll get it home and sort out any jobs that need doing, then put it into use.
Looking forward to more posting on here in future.

Picked the car up today, I'd forgotten how bouncy they were, and how much roll there was round corners, but we got home OK. Had to bump start it as the starter had stuck, I'd also forgotten what a b**tard they are to get off, so far 2 hours, 2 bolts and a lot of swearing.
Here's the photos though...

104_4273.JPG 104_4274.JPG 104_4275.JPG 104_4276.JPG 104_4277.JPG 104_4278.JPG 104_4279.JPG 104_4280.JPG 104_4281.JPG 104_4282.JPG

:clapping:that is one magnificant original find, enjoy!

Finally managed to wrestle the starter motor out of it - its taken about 3 hours so far!
Whoever thought it would be a good idea to have to remove the manifolds, move back the steering column in order to get the starter motor out must have been some sort of perverted genius........
In the same sort of time I could have had the complete front off and the engine and gearbox out of the Citroen Dyane that's also cluttering up the premises - perhaps its me that needs my head examined!

Whoever thought it would be a good idea to have to remove the manifolds, move back the steering column in order to get the starter motor out must have been some sort of perverted genius........

I wonder if it was the same genius who put the Citroen C4 air filter housing so far back in the engine compartment that the official way to change the air filter was to remove the windscreen wipers and scuttle!

Found out the cause of the starter motor problem - after stripping it out, then a 50 km round trip to get it properly tested - whoever had disconnected the battery to charge it up had forgotten to replace the thick cable going to the starter motor on the battery terminal! Not me I hasten to add!

Back