Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Lord Mayor of London

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neil

Enthusiast
Yes, Sadiq, and Boris before him, and Kenny before him etc, etc.
All three ignoring those little arrows we all see on weather charts following the 6'0'clock news.
In recent years, average annual wind speed in London between 9 and 11.5 knots. Prevailing westerly air-flow almost 300 days per annum. As the asthmatic crow flies, London, for argument sake is 20 miles by 20, N to S, W to E.
Forgive me for the "round figures', but I calculate that London's atmosphere gets flushed naturally every 2 hours (300 days annually). Consequently, to increase the efficiency of señor Khan's scheme, the Low Emission Zone boundary MUST be extended to the shores of Devon, Somerset and most of the Welsh coastline. Since there are very few "calm" days in Englandshire, Londoners are treated to easterly breezes for the remaining 60 days, carrying cattle generated gases from Flander's Fields. ( I wasn't sure if "farts" was allowed on this forum),
best regards always,
N.

Emmisions, last year ( possibly year prior ) there was a news article where one of the bigger underground stations, cant remember which, was evacuated then closed for emergency reasons, initially ‘ terrorist’ , due to filling with noxious, hazardous fumes, fire brigade, roads closed etc,it was then found to be a faulty power tool battery setting fire to itself.
What could happen when the cells in all the emmision friendly electric cars/vans/bikes etc. in the capital start to break down in the future?
Edit:- News today, Tesla dealership goes up in flames in Crawley, fire started in workshop, but better there than your garage...

Last edited:
In addition to this, there's another aspect to this policy of attempting to "clean up London" which I find disingenuous, to say the least. There can't be many people around who lived through the "London smogs" of the 1950s, but the outcome of this was the Clean Air Act, which prohibited the burning of all but smokeless fuels, thus reducing the "pea soupers" and bringing a cleaner appearance to London.

[Rant mode ON] Enough of the history, the point is that the restrictions were brought in for Londoners' health and were enforced rigorously. More importantly, they could NOT be bypassed by paying money! What I, as an (almost!) Londoner find offensive in all this is that this is being used, not as an opportunity to clean up London's air, but as a chance to raise money for Saddiq Khan! There should be NO option to pay to avoid the restriction under any circumstances, since in doing so the pollution continues and Saddiq gets rich! [Rant mode OFF]

Hello all,
I was upset to read @Kaye21 ’s account last week, then did some background reading ...seems an unfortunate side effect of the ULEZ will be the practical eradication of all 1980’s and 1990’s modern classics from suburban London. I think this is a terrible shame. Better strike that Mk1 GTI, 325i, and 164 off the want-one list then...
Best wishes, Simon,

I'm not sure that it does, in fact mean this. Having just checked out the U.L.E.Z. website the opening statement is this:

Cars need to meet minimum emission standards when travelling in the Ultra Low Emission Zone (ULEZ) or the daily charge must be paid. (Quote: TfL.gov.uk)

As I understand it, the important word here is "TRAVELLING". If your car is parked, I cannot see how you'd be asked to pay the £12.50 charge, not least as I can't see how your car would be recorded anyway! Besides which, it might be parked in a lock-up garage, where it wouldn't be seen by the camera cars anyway! On the odd occasions the car IS used I suppose you might cross the "camera line" and incur the charge, but otherwise how would you be seen? I'd offer to tow anyone's classic Renault through the U.L.E.Z. for the cost of the petrol(& a pint!) using my Subaru Forester, towing kit, amber L.E.D. lights and my "A" frame, but I expect that'd be more than the £12.50 anyway. The offer's there, if anyone needs it!

Hello all,
I was upset to read @Kaye21 ’s account last week, then did some background reading ...seems an unfortunate side effect of the ULEZ will be the practical eradication of all 1980’s and 1990’s modern classics from suburban London. I think this is a terrible shame. Better strike that Mk1 GTI, 325i, and 164 off the want-one list then...
Best wishes, Simon,

No No No, Simon
PLEASE DO NOT ALLOW these bureaucratic GOONS to suffocate your dreams. Continue using your beautiful 5 door French icon with her Portuguese identity. London MUST be the coolest place in the world to live (& enjoy life) under the radar. It's been estimated that there are over 1 million foreign workers with NO N.i number NOR U.T.R. But that doesn't stop them driving to work every day on PL, CZ, RO, BG, H, LV, EST plates (and Albania soon!)
The government rejected the above estimate, adding that the figure was nearer twenty.
And while we're on the subject of hair-quality. Who remembers a little boy called Antony Blair, brazenly proclaiming from the despatch box in 1997, that he would reduce Britain's carbon emissions to pre-war levels by 2015. How about putting him face 2 face with Jeremy Paxman and suffer interrogation on the subject of his hollow vote-grabbing broken promise!

Purchase the three models from your "want-one" list in Portugal. Drive each one to Bragança for M.o.T every year. Renew insurance and road tax, hop back on the ferry, totally legal for another 12 months. Do a victory lap of Parliament Square to celebrate!
N

Can we avoid politics on here please. This is an international forum and most members are probably already baffled enough by British politics.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back