Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

m guez

mguez

Enthusiast
Carburettor problems continue with my 1986 F6. This new Solex one(which Renault France assured me was the correct one but i doubt it now) I fitted recently with no choke is driving me mad and all attempts to set it correctly are failing.I now have oil seeping out at the bottom base gasket which I guess is not a good sign .Also it is smelling of fuel badly after long running. Could anyone enlighten me on these two problems? I think I'm going to have to do the MK 1 r5 carb/ manifold conversion before next winter as so many of you have done.
Also are any of you coming on the May run Gypsy jazz guitar players and up for a jam that day? yours Matt

Is it possible that the leak is fuel, not oil? Oil cannot reach there (except for reaching through the breather tube???) Combined with the smell it sounds to me like float chamber overflowing (fuel leaks from throttle spindle actually). Also, check the base gaskets and insulator block for vacuum leaks (it causes all sorts of bad running. If you post the type of carburettor, I can check if it is OK with your engine.

mguez

Yes thanks for that information angel.. I will get the details and numbers of the carb posted soon and see what you think. My mechanic is going to give it another go next week..new gasket and try to set and adjust it all.Yours gratefully M att

Back