Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Maintenance advice

Thomas Vinnicombe

Enthusiast
Good afternoon. Does anyone have any advice for extra maintenance tips for my renault 4. I have done oil change , fuel filter and basic stuff are there any super dooper things I can do to keep it pucker

Fitted a Gammatronix ignition system onto mine, has made a noticeable difference to running, just smoother, easier starting etc. Not too expensive and easy to fit too, would recommend, mines Spanish with a Fasa distributor, there are more options out there if you have a duciller distrubutor on your car.

Inject Waxoyl into all the chassis members (easy to do by taking out the bolts holding the body to the chassis). Then slap Waxoyl over the entire underside. R4s are notorious rust-traps and this will improve longevity.

Maintenance work on an R4, or any car of its era, is more adjustment- than replacement- oriented, unlike modern cars. Therefore its important to check and correctly adjust contact points gap, ignition timing, rocker arm clearances, spark plug gaps, idle mixture and speed, clutch cable play, water pump/alternator belt tension, handbrake cable tension.

As another method of protection add an ethanol protection additive to your fuel especially if you use the car infrequently, as if the fuel is left in the tank for a long period of time it can rust the inside of it. Also small things like lubricating the gear linkage with a bit of engine oil from the dipstick every now an then can keep it feeling nice and positive.

Back