Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

major help needed asap :(((

ryan

hi there peeps, i just bought my clio a few days back and i love it.. its a grande 1.2 but today it started (sounds wierd) but to smell of egg so i pulled over to find the battery steaming and sizzling... obviously im going to have to get a new battery tomorow, but is it safe to be left with battery still connected, and will it eventually cool down? any help would be much appreciated, btw nice forum

I should disconnect the battery just in case.

It could be a fault with the battery but my money is on a faulty alternator regulator that is failing to shut off the charging when the battery is fully charged. You'd need a new alternator to sort that one out.

I agree with Clementine, it most certainly is your regulator. If you take it to a repair shop they can change just the regulator rather than the whole unit, alternatively you could just get one from the scrap yard. I'd leave changing the battery until you fix the alternator. You might get away with it but check the acid level as some may have boiled off; top up with distilled water.

I've had a similar problem with my Renault 9, years ago. Make sure to rinse the battery-bay either with loads of water or a fair quantity of milk. Milk tends to neutralize the acid. Mine wasn't properly washed after it's little accident and as a consequence I've driven around with a great flippin' hole in the battery-bay for years. Unfortunately "they" botched the repair and I'll have to redo the thing properly sometime this year.

Back